Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mass cover for long retaining wall--arabis? aubretia? lithodora?

Posted by moonfleate BC (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 2, 08 at 11:41

Seeking advice on mass planting for a long south-facing (but shaded by trees) brick retaining wall. The wall is about five feet high and over a hundred feet long. At the moment I'm thinking of a mass of just one or two types of cascading plant--something with a good 'structural' texture, and that stays green in winter. I have seen some impressive cascading arabis and aubretia, but I am wondering if the wall will be sunny enough to promote good growth, as-- though south-facing-- it is shaded by a long line of trees. And would such plants take years to grow? Masses of lithodora can be breath-taking, but again I wonder how well it will do in partial shade (or would you call that "filtered sunlight"?)

I will try to attach an image to this posting. This is my first post, so bear with me if I get it wrong.

(follow-up during message preview; I see no 'upload photo' option on this forum, so perhaps I can later figure out a way to make a URL link)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mass cover for long retaining wall--arabis? aubretia? lithodo

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 2, 08 at 14:15

your post with a link to the picture
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/nwest/msg0311460515850.html

Here is a link that might be useful: the picture

o

Thank you Jean for adding the image link to this posting.

I made a mistake in my original posting. I was thinking of the gorgeous blue-flowering CEANOTHUS, not lithodora.

o

Ceanothus, lithodora, prostrate rosemary, helianthemums and most of the typical cascading rockery plants would prefer a full sun location although a south facing wall, despite the shade cast by large trees, may be enough of an exposure to encourage the earliest bloomers to flower (before the trees fully leaf out). But none have an especially long bloom season anyway. Creeping phlox will tolerate a shadier situation as will the creeping campanulas like C. poscharkyana or portenschlagiana and their hybrids. Some hardy geraniums might work, as well.

o

Thank you Gardengal for your advice. I'm going to google all the plants you mentioned and learn what I can about them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here