Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed ID help - Portland

Posted by OrangePoppy Oregon (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 11:45

Hi There! I'm new to Portland and have this lovely little guy all over the yard, and the neighbors' yards as well. It's leaf is broad, some bigger than my hand, and waxy to the touch. The stem has a reddish hint and is fuzzy. I'd like to find out what it is so I can further investigate its potential for medicine, food, etc. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed ID help - Portland

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 15:06

Liable to be one of the species of Petasites. Best way to tell would be by appearance of flowers, if still present - can't tell if the one bit is flowerheads or seedheads - try showing a better picture of those.

o
RE: Weed ID help - Portland

If the pink stock is part of the plant ignore this post. From the leaf and base I see of one plant you might check out Asarum caudatum (British Columbia Wild Ginger). I have it all over my shade garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here