Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yorkiebeebs

New lawn question

yorkiebeebs
15 years ago

We have inherited a yard that was previously a potty yard for three big dogs. Cedar chips were used for bedding to keep it from becoming a muddy, poopy mess. These chips are breaking down as there weren't new chips brought in for several months.

The dogs are no longer on the property and I want to make it back into a yard with a lawn. These are my thoughts as to how to make it happen. Could you tell me if I'm heading in the right direction.

1. put gypsum over the soil to neutralize the urine and let it set for a couple of days.

2. spread alfalfa meal and compost and rototill the soil and let it set for a couple of weeks.

3. rake it and roll it and bring in sod

I've never done this before and I have no idea if I'm on the right track. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    15 years ago

i would be tempted to cheap out and just topdress and seed. 1" 1/4-10 gravel, 1" compost/topsoil mix. seeds.

should cost like $60. OH, wait. how big is the lawn?

if its big i would be tempted to turn 1/2 of it into wildflowers for a while.

as for seeds, i like sunmark ecology blend. or sunmark flowering blend. protime fragrant herbal i haven't tried but seems cool. you can google those for details.

• jean001
    15 years ago

The gypsum doesn't neutralize urine. So don't waste your $$ for that.

• yorkiebeebs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Is the dog urine in the soil a problem? Does it dissipate with all our rain? I never even thought about it until one of my neighbors mentioned that it might be a problem in the soil.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

Urine is actually a fertilizer, although in concentrated forms a rather potent one :-) Time and our typical winter rainfall are sufficient neutralizing factors - forget the gypsum. Just rake out and dispose of any solid waste. Tilling and adding compost, then grading, rolling and laying sod is the fastest way to recreate a decent lawn. Seeding will also work - you need exactly the same prep - but wait until later next month. Takes about 4-6 weeks to have a walkable seeded lawn...only about 2 weeks for a sodded one.

• yorkiebeebs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for your response. We have a stump to dig out before we can deal with the soil. By the time we're ready the urine should be neutralized I would think. I appreciate your help.