Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blameitontherain

Reviews of Antique Rose Farm in Snohomish?

blameitontherain
13 years ago

Hi.

First, let me apologize for my rude comment regarding the original Knockout rose. I was in a snit yesterday and it showed.

Second, can anyone tell me about this business? I checked on the trusty watchdog site and it isn't listed -- most likely because it offers on-site sales only.

The website is a bit antiquated (the catalog is dated 2007 and you have to hit the back button to page through it) and offers little information about growing methods.

What I'd like to know is whether the company offers own root roses (somehow I think not) and whether the stock appears to be healthy to those who are experienced rosarians (of whom I am most definitely not).

Thank you for any information you can provide!

Rain

Comments (12)

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Not a grower, so condition of stock depends on what the grower sends them.

Except, as with other retailers, when stock has been in sales yard for some months.

Christianson's offers some own root along with all the grafted stock so Antique may do so also. Probably need to call and ask them.

Christianson's indicates which are own root.

Antique's print list says the roses are 20% off through March 31, so you may want to act soon.

• blameitontherain
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Bboy.

I will check out Christianson's as am interested in own root roses (and don't really want to pay the s/h for non -local sources). Antique Rose Farm's website doesn't say they are having a sale through 3/31, so that's definitely good to know!

Rain

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

The print listing says to look at the web site for current information, maybe they have an old one up along with a newer, different one.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Actually, Antique Rose Farm does grow some of its own product and does offer a number of roses on their own roots, generally OGR's. I have found them to be quite knowledgeable and the product of good quality.

They were the only supplier I could find of a not very common noisette I had been looking for to plant in memory of my mother (similar name) and this was an own-root rose they had propagated themselves.....I had to wait several seasons for their stock to become sufficiently well-grown enough for sale.

• harborrose_pnw
    13 years ago

They have in the past hosted an annual rose day featuring antique roses grown by members of the local Heritage Rose society. I went last year and saw many beautiful antique roses as well as many own root antiques and grafted moderns for sale.

The owners appear to be very knowledgeable about roses. It is a locally owned, "mom and pop" rose shop. The display gardens are lovely, too.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Still not a grower in the usual sense, where pretty much everything you see has been propagated and grown on by the same operation.

• blameitontherain
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the additional comments, Gardengal48 and Harborrose. I won't be able to make the sale today, but will venture up in the next couple of weeks to see what they have in the way of own roots. Checked out Christianson's list and they have a wide variety of own root rugosas. Unfortunately, they don't offer my top choice on its own roots, but perhaps ARF does.

Thanks again, all.

Rain

• harborrose_pnw
    13 years ago

Have you looked at Northland Rosarium in Spokane? They carry a wide variety of own roots too. Here's a link in case you're interested to their rugosa list. Good luck! Gean

Here is a link that might be useful: rugosa list at northland rosarium

• blameitontherain
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, Haborrose.

How funny, the double Blanc at the top of the list is the one I want! Just curious how you know which roses are grown on their own roots? The online catalog doesn't specify.

Thanks again,

Rain

• harborrose_pnw
    13 years ago

hi, Rain,
    All of Northland's roses are own root. Not many rose suppliers that carry rugosas sell them budded or grafted. It's really the modern floribundas or hybrid teas supplied by Jackson Perkins or Star, for example, that are generally sold grafted.

If you would want a grafted rugosa, you'd need to try Pickering in Canada. They root most of their roses onto multiflora.

Some people like the rugosas and gallicas grafted as many of the own roots of those kinds of roses will sucker and make a thicket. I don't know whether the rose you want does this or not.

• blameitontherain
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just saw Northland's message at the bottom of the page re all roses being grown on their own roots. Guess I need more coffee before shooting off emails!

Rain

• kimichangirl
    13 years ago

I live pretty close to the Antique Rose Farm and I visit often, usually leaving with a rose or two. :-) As others have mentioned they have both own root and grafted roses and, I think a rather nice selection of David Austins and OGR's. As you can tell from the catalog, they have some of the better HT for the NW and some minis, climbers and rugosas. I do have a current catalog if you wanted to email me about a specific variety, but calling them is might be preferable to you.

They are also willing to order roses they don't have in stock, although I think the wait varies by rose. Their staff are knowledgeable and friendly and have been more than generous in spending time walking around the roses as I browse and sharing all kinds of information with me (I am relatively new to gardening). They also have some good prices on a limited but nice selection of perennials -- nicer than you would find at the big box stores and definitely not pot-bound like you find at Flower World.

All of the roses I've bought there (about 10 so far) have been very healthy and done well in my garden.