Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toymkr

Chilean flame tree .. embothryum coccineum, Seattle area

toymkr
18 years ago

Looking for a couple of starts of Chilean flame tree, embothryum coccineum, from someone who has seedlings or shoots to sell or trade. My hummingbirds and I thank you in advance for your assistance.

Toymkr in Shoreline

Comments (11)

• homernoy
    18 years ago

Hi toymkr.
    The best place I have found for starts of Embothrium coccineum is the U.W. Arboretum. They sell cuttings there. The cuttings are from taken from established trees that have been growing there for many years. I think they go for about $3.00 each. There are many more interesting plants for sale there as well.

-Brian

• toymkr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Brian-

Thanks for the speedy reply. I was thinking of heading down there this week to nose around anyway

Paul in Shoreline

• eric_in_west_seattle
    18 years ago

paul

you might check with kruckeburg nursery which is in your neighborhood. I've seen them there in the past. propogated from their big tree.

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

Various local nurseries have these at different times. I bought one about 4 feet high last week at Hansen Family nursery (3rd & Holman in/near the Greenwood neighborhood of Seattle). Last year I bought several small ones in one gallon pots on sale at Emery's Garden (Lynnwood). Think they worked out to be about 3 dollars each after the discount. However, you seem to be looking for this item for free. Maybe you should try gathering seeds in autumn, sowing and growing your own. If you read up on it you should be able to get dozens, if not hundreds of seedlings going. I've heard of one man who starts them under lights in an apartment.

• bananajoe
    18 years ago

I just sowed a ton of seeds two days ago. They were harvested from a local tree here on our island. Joe

• goted
    18 years ago

Hi Bananajoe,

I was just wondering what your recipe is for sowing the seeds. How long do they take to germinate?

Thank you very much!

Ted in Vancouver.

• ian_wa
    18 years ago

They prefer to germinate at rather cool temperatures. If you have seed, sow them outdoors now or sometime in the next few weeks before it gets "hot".

• westgate
    18 years ago

Is it ever going to get "hot" again?....I am growing webbed feet!

• bananajoe
    18 years ago

Ted, I have never grown this species from seed. This will be a first for me. I did sow the seeds in a seed flat with Pro-Mix HP and now have it in my greenhouse. Hopefully they will sprout. I do propagate many other species of plants from seed. Cheers, Banana Joe

• homernoy
    18 years ago

The seeds are very easy to germinate. I have never had a problem with that. There are a couple of 15ft specimens at my parents house in Bothell that I grew from seed. The problems happen after germination, and I would plant two or three in the same spot, and weed out the weaker plants later. The survival rate for seedlings to reach flowering age is not very good percentage wise, at least that's my experience.

-Brian

• toymkr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

To Eric and Bboy..... thanks for the leads. I hadn't thought about Krukenberg and want to go there anyway ....great excuse.