Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meganpnw

Outdoor furniture recommendations?

meganpnw
13 years ago

I am looking for outdoor furniture for my patio. Does anyone have a set that they love? I am hoping to find something that doesn't cost more than my indoor furniture (

Comments (14)

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

We've had an aluminum set from Kmart for years, Martha Stewart collection, have been very happy with it. It is under cover but still has held up very well.

Had a wood set from Lowe's that fell apart after one year even though under cover. They refused to take it back with receipt because they claimed it wasn't outdoor wood. It was sold in their garden center and it was a park bench, coffee table and chairs all with garden motifs and nowhere on the boxes did it say not for outdoor use.

Be careful with wood....

• dunca
    13 years ago

We just returned from Mexico, last week, and were imptessed with their patio furniture. It was a vinyl weave looking like ratan or bamboo and seemed to last quite well in their 90+ temps. I always talk to the gardeners at the resorts, much to their surprise. They informed me that the chairs in full sun will last at least 3 years, before fading, which is much better than we are getting out of our woven whatever fabric. We do get browning of fabric from winter storage and have to replace often. This type seems readily available at the big box joints and will likely be our next choice, afterall the flowers and foilage are the patios attractions, not the furniture.

• Karchita
    13 years ago

I bought a great set at Crate and Barrel about five years ago. I put it away every winter, so easy storage was a concern. The chairs stack, which saves a ton of space and it's light weight, so I can put it away or take it out by myself in a few minutes. It has held up beautifully and the finish has a lifetime guarantee.

I don't remember the brand, but it was made in Italy and is a gorgeous modern design. Not cheap, but well worth the price.

• daphnexduck
    13 years ago

I've tried it all and I leave it all out every year, except for cushions. (Note, make sure cushions are totally dry before storing or they can mildew.) I clean up the furniture in the spring with water and bleach to get off the dirt and green algae. I've tried a winter plastic table cover, but no matter how tightly I tied it, it blew off in strong winds.

Plastic chairs. Cheap, comfortable, needs annual cleaning which will dull the glossy surface, but can be repainted with spray paint. Easy to move around and stack for storage, but can blow over in heavy wind.

Painted tube aluminum with thick plastic strap seats. These have lasted well for over 25 years. Some of the paint was flaking off (after 20 years), but I touched them up with spray paint and they looks fine. Comfortable with added cushions. Not heavy and stack for storage.

Painted wood. The directors chairs aren't very expensive and are comfortable except for large people. The material backs and seats do fade and need to be replaced after several years. They fold and can be stored easily. The paint will flake off eventually.

Teak. Usually expensive and very heavy. I have a teak bench (in shade) and a teak coffee table. The bench I bought on sale (end of season) at Costco and the table was a kids' table from Ikea. Both were good prices for teak. The point of teak is that it can't be painted (the natural oil in the wood seeps out) and stands up well to weather. My bench gets speckled with gray moss that is difficult to get off and leaves stains. I'm very disappointed with it in the PNW climate. The table also has a stain from a piece of metal that was left on it and rusted. I tried a light sanding, but that didn't help.

'Wrought iron' (really aluminum) with baked on paint. This is usually the most expensive, but stands up to the weather the best. The chairs are comfortable with or without added cushions. (I really like the chairs that rock.) After 10 years, it still cleans up to look like new. The table developed a few small rust spots, but I touched it up with spray paint and the rust hasn't come back. The chairs are very heavy so hard to move, but they don't blow over in the wind.

Note: if you're putting furniture in an unsecured yard, don't buy expensive stuff. I had two brand new, expensive chairs stolen.

Daphne in Tacoma

• Ratherbgardening
    13 years ago

I have a cheap Sears set with aluminum frames. The table has a glass top, which I like because it's easy to clean and the chairs have the tight mesh. It has held up fine for the 8 or so years we've had it. It has been out in the weather the whole time. We don't have the option of changing the seat fabric if it wears out like you can with some of the expensive sets, but we didn't want to spend that much.

• Daisyjulyrose
    11 years ago

How about mosaic patio furniture?
    I bought one for my garden

• mcglinnen
    11 years ago

A few years back I bought a set of Cedar Adirondack chairs for around $600 apiece. Not even three years later I was tossing them into the fire because they had become loose and wobbly where the hardware was. Doesn�t matter if you have great hardware if the wood is going to rot. Did some research and decided to go with poly outdoor furniture. It�s heaver than "plastic" and I like the idea of using recycled polyethylene and found some great stuff online at www.shop-patiotown.com . They have a 20-year warranty and I can leave them out all winter. It�s been a few years now and they look the same as the day they came.

• thibaultfontaine
    10 years ago

What are your main requirements and concerns when buying and outdoor table ? According to you, which industries could bring innovative ideas to outdoor furniture industry ?

This post was edited by thibaultfontaine on Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 19:12

• cvfurniturejepara
    9 years ago

Dear ,
    I m rizal from indonesia, we production teak outdoor furniture, if you want to order, we can make it, but minimum 1 x 20 ft container teak furniture, we many sample and design of elegant teak outdoor furniture.

we will wait you,

thx
    rizal - jepara

• billmah
    8 years ago

I am usually good at researching products that I buy. Eight
    out of 10 times I am very happy with my choices. I was fooled this time when I purchased Luxxella outdoor furniture. After
    spending more than $2,000 I did not get the product I thought I would. The
    chairs came with plastic leg piece at each corner of the chair. Some of the
    pieces were broken. This made the chair wobbly.
    The high price included hundreds of dollars for Sunbrella fabric. Some reviews
    said that the Sunbrella fabric looked "like new" after months of
    being in the sun. That is not true. Our fabric started fading after
    only a few weeks. Lesson learned is next time I would just pay for the less
    expensive fabric and replace as needed. There is no cost advantage to
    Sunbrella.
    One of the cushions came wrapped in plastic that was torn and taped up. I
    suspect it was returned by another customer and Luxxella sent it to us. It did
    not match the other cushions. The cover did not fit well and the stitching was
    irregular. So I can understand why it was returned by another customer.
    I contacted Luxxella but like several Amazon and Google reviews indicated they do not respond.
    If I were to choose over again, I would buy Ohana, Urban, or one of the other
    makers.
    I made a huge mistake when I bought from Luxxella.

• Марина Родина
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hello! Tastes are different for everyone, like me for example, predominantly white furniture. Here you can see how time Outdoor Furniture equipped, very beautiful.

• sàn gỗ CQ
    7 years ago

Normally, i think you should mix teak wood table and outdoor natural flooring (sàn gỗ tự nhiên ngoài trời)

• HU-523548841
    5 years ago

You will have to figure out exactly the look you want, and the budget you have: https://www.archdaily.com/catalog/us/companies/1277/superior-recreational-products

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!