Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bboy (and others), a question

Posted by dottyinduncan z8b coastal BC (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 12:52

I read your response to the poster who wants to get rid of Salal and you mention using RU to get rid of Giant Morning Glory. I am curious about the morning glory seeds available and whether this type of MG becomes invasive. I already am battling bindweed (and a dozen other pests in the garden) and certainly don't want to add another. But I do love the big, blue flowers on MG.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bboy (and others), a question

Ornamental morning glories are annuals and do not overwinter here. I have never seen (or heard) of anyone having issues with them becoming a nuisance. In fact, it is not often hot enough in the summer for them to bloom to their full capacity unless started quite early.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 14:54

Giant morning glory is the big, invasive weedy perennial with white flowers you may be referring to here as bindweed.

o

Thanks bboy and Gardengal. That is what I thought but I wanted the confirmation from our resident experts. I might try some MG on a sheltered wall this summer.

o

I've had good success growing the gorgeous blue morning glory (Ipomoea tricolor) on a south facing trellis in years with normal spring temps. Depending on your site, they may not do so well in a really wet and cold year. It takes some deadheading to keep the blooms coming at maximum capacity all summer, but really worth the effort. It has self seeded for me, but just a little bit, and they are easy to recognize and pull.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here