Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to Plant Geraniums

Posted by martinp (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 07 at 13:07

Every year I bring a few geraniums into the house for the winter. Last spring I planted one in the yard too early as a test, and it died. This year, I'm thinking of planting one when it stays above 40 deg F at night, but do you think that is still too cold for them?

By the way, I cut my geranium stems into 3 inch chunks, and stuck them in the ground all around my flowerbeds last summer, and I had geraniums everywhere by fall. It was really fun.

Martin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to Plant Geraniums

I'm in Z8 sometimes it's more like Z7, plants like Geraniums and other tender things I wait until all signs of frost are gone, rule of thumb in my area, is May 24, if we are having a warm Spring, Easter weekend.

A......

o

Ouch, May 24? Anyone else having troubles waiting that long? I'm so impatient. :P

Martin

o

Up here on Vancouver Island in April we usually get sudden Hail storms, they might be short but can do a lot of damage. The nursery I used to work in, this was many years ago, didn't even bring tender things in until May. The holding area for these was a lath house, I can remember a time when I had to wash Hail off the Petunias with a hose, to stop them from getting frosted. I've seen lettuce shredded to ribbons. Up here if one ventures to take a chance planting early, and I do sometimes, I cover the tender stuff with Remay cloth.

A......

o

Where are you at Martin? The last frost date for Seattle is traditionally May 1, April 15 for some warmer pockets or if you can take some risks like Aftermidnight mentioned.
- Tom

o

Oh, thanks Tom. Sorry I forgot to say that I'm in Salem, Oregon. I wonder what a good date would be for here. Where did you get that info for Seattle? I suppose I could use that date, and feel safe.

Thanks,
Martin

o

Martin, if you just have a few things, Hot Caps work, Tom is right, find out the last frost date for your area and to be on the safe side, it wouldn't hurt to cover things for a week or two.

A......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here