Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about Rohdea japonica

Posted by winsorw 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 23, 11 at 13:14

Hi,
Does anyone in the PNW grow Rohdea japonica (sacred/nippon lily)? I've heard that it grows/spreads slowly, but how slow? Does it need to be in shade or can it survive in partial shade? Any suggestion is welcome.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about Rohdea japonica

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 23, 11 at 23:35

Was grown in the Seattle arboretum for a long time, is perhaps still there. Aspidistra might be a little more interesting, especially since it comes in variegated foliage forms.

Just saw some of these at Home Depot, I think it was.

o

Thanks bboy, I have Aspidistra so I thought I should try something else.

o

Sun, Mar 27, 11 at 16:37

If you are near enough to the Seattle arboretum to go there, the planting is/was along the stream in Rhododendron Glen, between the service road and the dawn redwood trees, black bamboo. If you are in the right spot the redwoods and bamboo are up hill from and behind the stream.

o

Re rhodea, i have 3 I put in several years ago. They have grown very slowly in a partial shaded area. They have never really "greened up" and are a sickly green. I mulch them yearly with a wood chip/manure local product. I saw gorgeous ones at the Chinese Garden Portland. Wonder what could help them?

o

Sun, May 15, 11 at 0:41

Might just be a nitrogen deficiency, this is the common nutrient problem in this area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here