Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanowicki

cold damage

tanowicki
14 years ago

It seems that I have some cold damage from our December cold snap on a couple plants. My pacific wax myrtle has some brown spots on a few leaves but there seems to be new growth coming in and I think it will be fine.

My question is about a new tree I planted last year. It's a catalina ironwood which is an evergreen so it is leafed out now. I planted it last year and it's about 6 - 7 feet tall. It seems to like where I planted it as it grew about 2 to 3 feet from May through the summer/early fall.

There are some brown leaves and spots similar to the wax myrtle on some lower branches but the tips of those branches are showing growth. However, the tip top of the tree looks dead. The top 6 inches or so is all brown and there doesn't appear to be any signs of new growth. If the top of the tree is dead due to cold damage, will it be forever stunted or is there hope that another branch will grow up and take over? Do I just let it go and see what happens?

I'm a fairly new gardener and have never had to worry about cold damage and I really like the tree.

Comments (5)