Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calendar for Portland area

Posted by karan_in_oregon Zone 8 Oregon (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 07 at 14:51

Hi,
does anyone know a site for beginner gardeners where a schedule month by month can be found for growing vegetables and flowering plants? My daughter lives in the Portland area after living in southern California for over 10 years. So far she has planted sweet peas, but is wanting tomatoes and probably annuals. She needs hints on care, feeding etc. I am going to send her the URL for Gardenweb. She is an accountant so doesn't have a lot of free time to search this time of year. Thank you, Karan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calendar for Portland area

Hey Karan,

I was born and raised in CA and moved here 5 years ago. We've just bought our first house and now I finally have my own yard to experiment and plan out. Before that I was an avid balcony gardener (grin).

What area did your daughter move to? Sounds like we are in the same boat!

I can't give you any hard information, but this forum is the best- I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say.

Ellen

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 13, 07 at 17:26

Sweet peas now, tomato plants, basil starts other tropical vegetables June. Start your own or shop earlier, grow on yourself under cover before planting out - selection at outlets reduced by correct planting time. Beware of chilled plants when shopping, once exposed to cold nights these may dawdle for some time afterward. Yellowish growing points at top and center of plants a red flag.

o

They probably wouldn't want the link on here, but I'll mention a name you can check.

Do a Google search for...

Rainyside Gardeners

Its a small forum, but has information in the site. The moderators use the site almost daily. Not as fast paced as Garden Web, but not as many flashing ads, either.

You might search its articles and archives for a calendar, or post the question.

o

Get a copy of The Maritime Northwest Garden Guide published by Seattle Tilth. It is available at many NW nurseries and garden centers and also bookstores or online through Powells and Amazon. With a major contribution by Carl Elliot, former owner of Northwest Perennials, host of an NPR radio gardening show and very active in Seattle Tilth, as well as a bunch of other local, experienced gardeners, this is an invaluable guide for the new gardener or just new to the area as well as an excellent resource for the more experienced. It offers month by month planting recommendations (what to plant when), tips for extending the growing season, recommendations for organic pest and disease control, a detailed regional zone map and sources for plants, seeds and compost. Very inexpensive at around $12.00 (about half that if you can find it used).

o

Gardening with Ed Hume: Northwest Gardening Made Easy by Ed Hume

The Year in Bloom by Ann Lovejoy

Month by Month Gardening in Washington & Oregon: What to Do Each Month to Have a Beautiful Garden All Year by Mary Robson

Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades: The Complete Guide to Natural Gardening by Steve Solomon

Gardening Month by Month in Washington and Oregon by Alison Beck

o

Thank you all for the good suggestions.
She is in the Beaverton area.
I will try to get the books myself. I have read Ann Lovejoy's books.
I hope all of your gardens are doing well,
I have Winter Sown seeds that are up and keeping me busy. It has been a long time since I have done much except maintain what I have, so it feels good to smell and feel dirt (soil).
Thank you again, Karan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here