Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lilac shoots, potting them up

Posted by heatherisnotaweed Everett z8 (hj_shaffer@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Mar 22, 05 at 14:58

Hi folks,

I have two large lilac trees that are sending up side shoots like mad. I want to pot them up to give away. They are really pretty pale purple ones, with a great scent. How do I get them out of the ground? Just start digging? I don't want to kill them, so any tips are appreciated.

Heather

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lilac shoots, potting them up

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 23, 05 at 3:54

Do it when they are not in leaf. It is too late for this winter.

o

I've potted up lilac suckers at all times of the year with great success. Lilacs are tough plants. Just use a good sharp spade and sever the root at a reasonable distance from both the sucker and the mother plant. Pot up and keep properly hydrated - you'll have dozens to share.

One of my earlier sucker removals was June housewarming gift for my grown kids - it's now a 7 foot shrub with a mass of flower buds.

o

NOt to disregard your advise, Ron, but since I don't want all those suckers hanging around all summer (I'm putting a border in) I think I'll take my chances and pot them up! :-) Thanks to you both.

Heather

o

Wed, Mar 23, 05 at 14:32

Since they are right in the middle of their most tender, new growth being made I would expect them to wilt. Perhaps not.

o

Ron, you're right that they might wilt, but I've also dug them and transplanted at this stage and they've always pulled through -- as long as I've remembered to care for them during the summer. They won't do much the first year but they should take off after that!

Heather, have fun! Yours remind me of the ones my mom gave me several years ago for my previous house -- wish I could run over and dig up a few shoots for my home here -- but transporting many plants wasn't possible when I moved. I can almost smell them now...

o

Carol Ann,

You can drive on over here and take as much as you like! the neighbor across the street has a white one he said we can take shoots from too.

Heather

o

Thu, Mar 24, 05 at 1:19

Some older ones are grafted, so the runners will not be the same variety that makes up most of the top.

o

the ones in my yard snuck under the fence from the neighbors yard some years ago. they look/smell the same. I guess that means the ones next door are grown on their own roots, right? those shoots are popping up everwhere.

heather

o

Also, if they were planted with the graft under the surface of the soil, they may grow their own roots.

o
Speaking of lilac starts.. can someone tell me:

My neighbors were cutting back lilacs on the day Ronald Reagan died, and I took some large branches and put them directly into a bucket of water. Nothing seems to have happened as to their rooting. Years ago, I was very successful at doing the same thing and those lilac starts are now tall, lovely trees. What am I doing wrong? Should I just toss them, put them in dirt, or what? No signs of life, that I can see on these, and yet they were probably within 20 minutes of cutting from mother plant to water. What should I do?
Thanks much!

o

I'd stick them in dirt right away. Just regular garden soil. They may root. I've rooted lilac cuttings this way before. If you have rooting hormone it may help.

They may or may not take.

You've had them this long and they are still alive? I'm kind of surprised.

I have some lilac cuttings of my own in some water I am going to play at rooting. They may or may not do anything, but it is worth a shot.

o

Sun, Apr 17, 05 at 19:21

Or worth a shoot.

o

Once we plant the saplings when do they start flowering? at what level of maturity (size and years). thanks

o

Heather the ones you gave me are doing great. One was quite wilty, but even it has perked up! I have just been giving them plenty of water...why is it I still have to water when it rains so often!!! :-) Thanks again and I hope the seedlings I gave you are doing ok.

o

Heather, I would love some purple ones if you have any left. I only have the white, but they sure smell good! Michele

o

Glad the lilacs are doing well! I have lots more, Michele, check your mail!

Heather

o

I was wondering if you still have any liliac starts left. I would love to have some. thanks cece

o

Cece, I sure do, you're more than welcome to some. Let me know when you want to come get them. Or, if you are going to be at the Seattle exchange on the 21st. I'll be there, too.

Heather

o

A couple of years ago my brother and I had the opportunity to get some "old growth" lilacs. How it happened was that I came home for lunch and the nieghbor had pulled out plants that were at least 30 years old and had just left them laying in the front yard to haul off later. I of course asked and recieved them. What I did was take large garbage cans (55gal size) plopped the plants in and then filled with water. This happened in August in Central Oregon, I was amazed at how quickly they sprang back and thrived, I left them in the water for about two weeks then planted. My brother did the same and we probably got close to 20 7-10 foot plants out of this deal. Mine at this time are all blooming beautifully.
So I would guess that they would do fine. I've given many shoots away through the years.

o

• Posted by Kate1 8 Washington (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 22, 05 at 15:47

I have lots.I am in Richmond beach so if anyone wants to dig some, they are welcome

o

I just "borrowed" a shoot from outside my neighbors yard. It was growing under his lilac, but on the street side of the fence. I planted it in my yard and it looks great after a very short shock wilt.

o

If i dig up the suckers to replant do I cut the suckers right back prior to replanting? Thanks for any info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here