Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heatherisnotaweed

Lilac shoots, potting them up

heatherisnotaweed
19 years ago

Hi folks,

I have two large lilac trees that are sending up side shoots like mad. I want to pot them up to give away. They are really pretty pale purple ones, with a great scent. How do I get them out of the ground? Just start digging? I don't want to kill them, so any tips are appreciated.

Heather

Comments (22)

• Ron_B
    19 years ago

Do it when they are not in leaf. It is too late for this winter.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    19 years ago

I've potted up lilac suckers at all times of the year with great success. Lilacs are tough plants. Just use a good sharp spade and sever the root at a reasonable distance from both the sucker and the mother plant. Pot up and keep properly hydrated - you'll have dozens to share.

One of my earlier sucker removals was June housewarming gift for my grown kids - it's now a 7 foot shrub with a mass of flower buds.

• heatherisnotaweed
    Original Author
    19 years ago

NOt to disregard your advise, Ron, but since I don't want all those suckers hanging around all summer (I'm putting a border in) I think I'll take my chances and pot them up! :-) Thanks to you both.

Heather

• Ron_B
    19 years ago

Since they are right in the middle of their most tender, new growth being made I would expect them to wilt. Perhaps not.

• Carol_Ann
    19 years ago

Ron, you're right that they might wilt, but I've also dug them and transplanted at this stage and they've always pulled through -- as long as I've remembered to care for them during the summer. They won't do much the first year but they should take off after that!

Heather, have fun! Yours remind me of the ones my mom gave me several years ago for my previous house -- wish I could run over and dig up a few shoots for my home here -- but transporting many plants wasn't possible when I moved. I can almost smell them now...

• heatherisnotaweed
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Carol Ann,

You can drive on over here and take as much as you like! the neighbor across the street has a white one he said we can take shoots from too.

Heather

• heatherisnotaweed
    Original Author
    19 years ago

the ones in my yard snuck under the fence from the neighbors yard some years ago. they look/smell the same. I guess that means the ones next door are grown on their own roots, right? those shoots are popping up everwhere.

heather

• madspinner
    19 years ago

Also, if they were planted with the graft under the surface of the soil, they may grow their own roots.

• Belle_Eire
    19 years ago

My neighbors were cutting back lilacs on the day Ronald Reagan died, and I took some large branches and put them directly into a bucket of water. Nothing seems to have happened as to their rooting. Years ago, I was very successful at doing the same thing and those lilac starts are now tall, lovely trees. What am I doing wrong? Should I just toss them, put them in dirt, or what? No signs of life, that I can see on these, and yet they were probably within 20 minutes of cutting from mother plant to water. What should I do?
    Thanks much!

• madspinner
    19 years ago

I'd stick them in dirt right away. Just regular garden soil. They may root. I've rooted lilac cuttings this way before. If you have rooting hormone it may help.

They may or may not take.

You've had them this long and they are still alive? I'm kind of surprised.

I have some lilac cuttings of my own in some water I am going to play at rooting. They may or may not do anything, but it is worth a shot.

• Ron_B
    19 years ago

Or worth a shoot.

• kandhi
    19 years ago

Once we plant the saplings when do they start flowering? at what level of maturity (size and years). thanks

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    18 years ago

Heather the ones you gave me are doing great. One was quite wilty, but even it has perked up! I have just been giving them plenty of water...why is it I still have to water when it rains so often!!! :-) Thanks again and I hope the seedlings I gave you are doing ok.

• michelelee
    18 years ago

Heather, I would love some purple ones if you have any left. I only have the white, but they sure smell good! Michele

• heatherisnotaweed
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Glad the lilacs are doing well! I have lots more, Michele, check your mail!

Heather

• cmist
    18 years ago

I was wondering if you still have any liliac starts left. I would love to have some. thanks cece

• heatherisnotaweed
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Cece, I sure do, you're more than welcome to some. Let me know when you want to come get them. Or, if you are going to be at the Seattle exchange on the 21st. I'll be there, too.

Heather

• echoes_or
    18 years ago

A couple of years ago my brother and I had the opportunity to get some "old growth" lilacs. How it happened was that I came home for lunch and the nieghbor had pulled out plants that were at least 30 years old and had just left them laying in the front yard to haul off later. I of course asked and recieved them. What I did was take large garbage cans (55gal size) plopped the plants in and then filled with water. This happened in August in Central Oregon, I was amazed at how quickly they sprang back and thrived, I left them in the water for about two weeks then planted. My brother did the same and we probably got close to 20 7-10 foot plants out of this deal. Mine at this time are all blooming beautifully.
    So I would guess that they would do fine. I've given many shoots away through the years.

• kate1
    18 years ago

I have lots.I am in Richmond beach so if anyone wants to dig some, they are welcome

• jburesh1388
    18 years ago

I just "borrowed" a shoot from outside my neighbors yard. It was growing under his lilac, but on the street side of the fence. I planted it in my yard and it looks great after a very short shock wilt.

• wilko1
    18 years ago

If i dig up the suckers to replant do I cut the suckers right back prior to replanting? Thanks for any info.