Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_portland

Flower seedlings

ellen_portland
12 years ago

Hi,

I've started seedlings for Poppy, Sweet Peas, Lobellia, Baby Blue Eyes, Echinacea, Cosmos and Mammoth Sunflower. Some of these have gotten long and leggy and aren't standing upright. I've always screwed up when planting outdoors and ended up loosing most of them to snails etc. It's hard to manipulate when they are so fragile.

What is the general procedure? It says to put the tray out in the shade and gradually expose them to full sunlight. It's going to be pouring for the next week. Right now I've got them in my kitchen greenhouse window.

Do I need to transplant them into little pots?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (15)

• larry_gene
    12 years ago

Snails and slugs are a separate issue and there are controls for those.

Your seedlings look like they did not have enough direct overhead light as they were growing. Once the sprouts form the first true leaves, they need to transplant into a 3- or 4-inch pot for root development and be under tons of light. That requires a lot more space and soil than you have used.

My wife keeps the light fixture about one inch above the plants. This requires all the plants in one tray to be of a similar height.

One main trick is not to plant the seeds so early that the plants outgrow the pot before going into the ground. Around here, June seems to be the target ground-planting month these past few years, although you can transition them into an outdoor greenhouse setup (can be small and simple) in April or May.

Exposing starter plants gradually to sunshine in Portland can be tough; the sun is usually all or nothing, and it is already at a September angle in the sky. Best to place your plants out among other plants that will give them dappled sun at mid-day.

You can try transplanting your seedlings into pots since you have a lot of effort into them already, but those plants may have to be considered experimental for this year. They might surprise you even if the early growth has been strange.

• ellen_portland
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Larry ;-)

I guess I got took in by the seed packets saying after danger of frost has past and plant in early Spring.

I'm going to go get those little transplanting pots that you can just put directly into the soil and see what I can do from there.

• larry_gene
    12 years ago

In years to come you might try sowing directly into a specialty pot like a 2x2" and 4 inches deep. I've seen them at Rain or Shine (NE Airport Way). They have a lot of tray/pot systems there for seed-starting.

The seed packets for the Portland market should read "after all danger of mud has passed".

• laurell
    12 years ago

I have been reading up on sunflowers and I guess they have a fairly deep tap root that can get wonky without enough depth. You may consider getting toilet paper rolls, making 4 1/2' cuts in the bottom and folding them up like you would a cardboard box to 'seal' them and planting the sunflowers in there. That gives you more depth and a container that cab be planted directly into the garden.

Slugs and snails can be kept at bay by cutting rings from 2 liter bottles and sticking them into the ground around the plant. It has kept my dahlias safe in the past.

Here is a link that might be useful: toilet paper rolls

• ellen_portland
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LMAO Larry- you are so right!

Thanks for the info Laurell!! I so appreciate it!

Will keep you posted!
    Ellen

• duane456
    12 years ago

ellen----you might want to check the winter sowing forum. It's a cheap way to start seeds and it protects them when young. You can still use winter sowing method as long as the seed doesn't need cold stratification.
    Duane

• larry_gene
    12 years ago

...also interesting comments about lighting requirements on page 14 of the Home and Garden insert for the Saturday Oregonian, online version here:

Seed Rack Ideas

• botann
    12 years ago

Usually indoor grown outside plants are tall and skinny because they aren't getting enough light coupled with warm temps. If you're dealing with limited light, grow in a cool place. A kitchen window is 'limited light' and way too warm.
    Mike

• ellen_portland
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone ;-) I would've thought that a greenhouse window with morning light wouldn't have been deemed limited. Oh well, I've got a lot to learn.

• oregonboy
    12 years ago

Many of the seeds you planted are annuals or fast-growing. I had a similar problem before...they just get too big too fast. You might have better luck direct-sowing a fresh batch of seeds in the ground in a couple of weeks. (I start mine in an unheated greenhouse with full sun exposure.) Best of luck!

• Karchita
    12 years ago

Ellen, I successfully direct seed poppies (Shirley, California, and Icelandic types) sweet peas, cosmos and sunflowers all outside. The sweet peas I soak in water overnight and then pre-germinate in moist paper towels in a baggie in the refrigerator. Once the root emerges, I (gently) roll them around in some legume innoculant and plant them out in the garden. I usually do this in March, but it is not too late to do it this year.

I don't do anything special for any of the others.

None of these flowers transplant well. Any time you gain by starting them indoors, you will lose to transplant shock when you plant them out.

Give it a try and good luck. :)

BTW, I agree that your seedlings look like they didn't get enough light. It is hard do without lights.

• GrammyNancy
    9 years ago

I have started Sunflower seeds a few weeks ago indoors. They are six to nine inches tall and no true leaves yet! Now they are leaning over. Do I toss these out, or can I plant them outside, covering the leaning over part of the stems in hopes of gaining more root growth? What can I do to save these guys? I tried seeds before, and even under grow lights, they flopped and died. I carefully spritz water. I use a purchased seedling mix for potting. I try everything right, but get leggy plants with no true leaves. Why? and is there any hope for these? I put a lot of care into them and hate to lose them. Thanks for your advise.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Again, too warm with limited light.
    They need to grow slower. Cooler temps will take care of that.
    Mike

• barbe_wa
    9 years ago

I agree with duane on wintersowing. It has worked extremely well for me for just about everything except tropicals. I use it for spring sowing, too, for those annuals that need warmer temps to germinate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing Forum

• GrammyNancy
    9 years ago

Thanks so much!