Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
duane456

Plant swap in Portland

duane456
10 years ago

I'm thinking of organizing a plant swap in Portland/Gresham/ Happy Valley area. Anyone interested?

Comments (25)

• barbe_wa
    10 years ago

Depending on the timing, Don and I would be interested. We won't be able to bring much to swap if it's before April, but could probably scare up a little - if the rain slows down and we get over the bronchitis we're suffering through. We've been wishing someone in the Portland area would start some swaps again. By the way, we will be hosting one in Kelso around the middle of May and would love to see you here. Keep checking for date and time.

• duane456
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm thinking Apr. 12 or 19. I've pretty much secured a parking lot at a grade school where I work. It will be loads of fun. I'll have a few plants myself, and if I don't get them traded, I'll offer them as freebies at the end. I'll keep you updated.

• barbe_wa
    10 years ago

That sounds good. I think we should be up, out and about by then. I have no idea what we have to divide and share since we haven't been in the garden for at least 3 weeks. I'm hoping a lot of things are sprouting. Keep us updated.

• duane456
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok----Here's the official word-----

1st Annual Shovel Prune Plant and Seed Swap

location--Pleasant Valley Grade School parking lot
    17625 SE Foster Road, Gresham OR 97080

date------April 19 10:00 am to 12 noon

email contact-----duane_werner@frontier.com

*Rain or Shine
    *No Sales !!!
    *Dig up your extras, put them in your tailgate, and bring them over to trade/barter.
    *No plants, no problem, bring something else(food works) to trade.
    *Label your plants clearly. If possible write the common name, the latin name, and cultivar or variety if you know it. Also any interesting attributes of the plant: height, leaf shape or size, color, variegation, flower color. Pics are also very helpful.

• barbe_wa
    10 years ago

Duane, you might want to post this in the Pacific Northwest Exchange Forum. I think some people don't look at this forum for swap meets. If it's okay, I'll post it on some of the local sites I belong to. Let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pacific Northwest Garden Exchange

• duane456
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Barbe----Yes, post it everywhere you can think of. I'd appreciate that. Thanks. I'm getting it posted around my area. Hopefully, I can get a good turn out. I've contacted many of the garden clubs in the area and OSU extension. Might put it in the newspaper, too. Might post it in some of the churches in the area, also.
    I'll put something over on the pacific Northwest Garden exchange.
    I've started digging up a few things already.

monarda (beebalm)--purple
    monarda --red, 'jacob cline'
    heuchera (coral bells) 'peach flambe'
    crocosmia--orange
    crocosmia-red, 'lucifer'
    lysimachia--'Alexander'
    pulmonaria (lungwort) red-purple flowers
    hyacinthoides (spanish bluebells)
    hydrangea-'nikko blue'

• princessgrace79
    10 years ago

I'd love to come! I'm in the Woodstock area and that's a quick drive up foster for me.

• duane456
    Original Author
    10 years ago

princess---by all means-- do come. It should be a good time.

• barbe_wa
    10 years ago

Bumping up, I hope!

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Hortlandia is on the weekend of the 12th.

• duane456
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What does Hortlandia on April 12 have to do with a Plant Swap on April 19th?

• barbe_wa
    10 years ago

So far I have variegated euphorbia, tiger lilies, valerian, strawberry plants (probably white, but possibly Alpine or Hood - take a chance!), elecampane, and watch for more to come as I get them ready for trade. I just hope the rain holds off long enough to get some things dug!

• duane456
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Barbe---sounds good. Got the swap in The Oregonian, Homes and Garden section under events. Also , hopefully in the Gresham Outlook on Tuesday.

There was a lady from Olympia who wanted to do one there and ask me to tell her how mine went.----Karla Salp
    South Sound Gardening Exchange (informal group).
    Know her?

• princessgrace79
    10 years ago

I have lots of hardy cyclamen, some voodoo lily, raspberry (also mystery variety! For the gamblers, but all mine are delicious), native salmonberry. Wish I had more exciting things but I'm just getting started the last 2 years. If no one wants any of my plants I'll get my three year old to tell jokes or show off her somersault skills :)

• duane456
    Original Author
    10 years ago

princess----you never know what people may want, don't worry whether if it is exciting.
    My hydrangea starts did not take. And my crocosmia lucifer isn't doing well. But I have echinacea, a couple of other heucheras,meadow rue,columbine, and shasta daisies.

• barbe_wa
    10 years ago

Have update: Climbing roses mostly various shades of red, but two that are supposed to be yellow (given to us but the deer haven't allowed us to see a blossom in the last 5 years so no guarantees). We just dug these today and I potted them, but they may look a little ratty from transplant shock by Saturday. I also have verbascum, Katie's Candles varied colors, Greek oregano, Autumn Joy sedum and a couple of other sedums, as well as what I've listed previously. Keep checking back - more to come, I hope.

• duane456
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is an updated flyer-----

First Annual âÂÂShovel PruneâÂÂ
    Plant and Seed Swap
    17625 S.E. Foster Rd. Gresham, OR 97080
    April 19, 2014
    10:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon

Rain or shine, gardeners gather to share and exchange plants and knowledge with all. The Shovel Prune Plant Swap is hosted at Pleasant Valley Grade School. Then main parking lot is on Richey Road just north of Foster. The site offers parking, and a small breezeway area with restrooms.

Or email him at duane_werner@frontier.com

THIS IS HOW IT WORKS: NO SALES, Only exchanges and freebies, please. Tailgating Encouraged. The format for the trade is like a tailgate party. Traders exchange expert gardening information as well as plant materials. In two hours all the deals are sealed. We have plenty of parking. Label your plants with botanical and common names, color, height, width, etc. if possible. Pictures are also great.

FREE STUFF: Many gardeners generously share plants from the abundance of their gardens. This is an excellent way to begin your garden and an excellent way to thin out that giant patch of Shasta Daisies, etc. There may be an area of plants free for the sharing at the swap.

WHAT IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO TRADE: Cookies and chocolate work like money at the Shovel Prune!

Rain or shine, gardeners gather to share and exchange
    plants and knowledge with all.

• barbe_wa
    10 years ago

Adding: Blue Star Amsonia, and a friend who's coming with us is bringing dahlia bulbs. Let me know if you want any of the roses since they are quite large and I'm limited as to how many I can get in the truck.

• barbe_wa
    10 years ago

Duane, would you trade your Jacob Cline monarda for a Cambridge Scarlet monarda? Or maybe something on my list? Thanks, Barb

• duane456
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sure will, Barbe.
    Duane

• princessgrace79
    10 years ago

Headed that way right now!

• barbe_wa
    10 years ago

Thanks for a great trade, Duane! I think it turned out very well, especially for a first time. We're looking forward to next year, and please don't forget my trade on May 17th. All comers are welcome.

• duane456
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all who came to the Shovel Prune plant swap!!
    I hope everyone had a good time. I know I did. It was great to talk with other gardeners. I will be doing it again next year for sure.

• buyorsell888
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry I missed this swap. I hope you do it again.

• duane456
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I plan on doing it again, next year about the same time. So, start thinking about saving things to trade in the fall and early spring.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio