Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would a Camellia not work in late afternoon sun?

Posted by ellen_portland z8 OR (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 27, 09 at 15:14

I just got a good deal on a nice sized Camellia. It says "filtered sun". Most of my garden gets full sun or afternoon sun. I have one area that is north facing against my garage. Would a Camellia not survive in afternoon sun, against a fence?

I've attached a picture, though small, of the sun angle. Large red circle=SUN.The two trees with purple x's are the neighbors which are now gone (too bad, they were good filters for our front patio and the sun angle)

Though I'd love to put it against the fence, I'm thinking it would do better on the north facing wall?

P.S. Can anyone recommend a Weigela that will grow tall? I mistakenly bought a My Monet last Spring and for some reason didn't realize that was a dwarf! (duh ;-) I'm trying to build tall flowering shrubs/vines along the fence line. I will need to transplant the dwarf elsewhere.

Here is a link that might be useful: house above

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would a Camellia not work in late afternoon sun?

One finds old, established and generally heavy flowering camellias in full sun all over in Seattle neighborhoods, much the same as one can find rhodies in similar situations. While it may not be the most ideal siting, if you have good, moisture retentive soil and pay attention to any summer irrigation, full sun can work. I'd be most attentive during the first couple of years of establishment.

PNW full sun conditions, even in midsummer, tend to be much less intense than they are elsewhere and you can typically get away with growing part shade plants in full sun here if appropriate care is given.

o

But in Portland you can add 10 degrees of summer heat over Seattle, and maybe more against a fence.

There's not enough sun or heat during camellia bloom season in Portland to hurt.

I recall quite a few sunburned rhodies in late summer here, but burned camellia leaves seem to be rarer.

I do put a small sprinkler near both of our camellias at least once a month in the summer.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 29, 09 at 16:11

Since many people here don't water enough - if at all - many of the Camellia japonica shrubs seen around in sunny positions have very poor foliage color. Frequently the north side of such specimens is green, where the plant is actually shading and protecting itself. And the flowers of examples so located tend to be regularly badly scorched as well, a problem with this shrub in frosty climates generally (we also have camellia petal blight in this area). For general garden purposes, particularly in a sunny position a Sasanqua camellia would be a better choice. These actually prefer a warm position in cool climates, and also tend to produce a looser more informal growth lending itself well to informal planting. Another bonus point goes to their flowers often being fragrant.

The various C. x williamsii cultivars are also much better landscaping subjects here than C. japonica, which particularly in the large-flowered forms prevalent at outlets really looks and performs as though it should be used mostly as a tubbed specimen under glass - indeed British references recommend it specifically as excellent for conservatories.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here