Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Veggie Garden Dirt

Posted by FamilyLivingSimple Auburn, WA (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 15:19

Where and what dirt do you guys like to put in your veggie garden beds. I was using Tagro down in tacoma because I heard such good things, but now that i have been looking around on this forum it sounds like that isn't the best idea.

Any suggestions is much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Veggie Garden Dirt

I wouldn't be overly concerned about using the Tagro - soil amendments and fertilizers based on biosolids are extremely highly regulated, with no unpleasant aroma and pathogen-free. Tagro is fully composted and is likely far less harmful to apply to garden beds than aged cow, steer or horse manure. Folks just tend to be sqeamish about these things but without foundation :-)

If you do have issues with the stuff, just add some compost, either the bagged stuff available just about anywhere or in bulk from Cedar Grove or your local bulk soil distributor. Compost is a perfectly adequate annual amendment for veggie gardens.

o

Thanks

o

Basics: soil (or dirt, as you refer) is just a medium to grow plants in it: Original soil on planet Earth comes from worn stone and rock. Then composted vegetation is gradually mixed with it. This mixture is called TOP SOIL. The more organic contents, the better top soil.
Requiremens for garden soil are: To maintain adequate moisture. To have proper drainage.
So then, any soil can be amended by compost. Then you would need nutriets. Most composts have SOME nutrient but not enough. Then you have choices: (1) add commercial chemical fertilizers . (2) add thing like manures (Horse, cow, chicken.. etc) . Compost is environmentally friendly , plus it holds and releases fertilizer slowly . I am a compost advocate. Keep amending your gaarden soil regularly(about onve a year). Because compost decays an loses its effect. I also like composted horse manure , both as a fertilizer and soil amendment.
The other importan issue is THE SOIL PH. (acidity, alkalinity) MOST garden veggies would do fine at a Ph range of 5.8 to 7.2. (7 being nutral) . Herbs like generally nutral to alkaline soild. It is not a rocket science but as a gardener you will learn it as you go along.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here