Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmehra123

Leyland cypress not growing

jmehra123
14 years ago

I planted a few Leyland Cypress trees in my yard last year (around August). Surprisingly the trees have not grown at all. But they are not dying either. Should I wait for spring. I had heard that they have a hardy growth.

Please help. I'm ready to rip them out and put new ones.

Comments (11)

• grrrnthumb
    14 years ago

They usually won't grow much in the months after a transplanting, especially one in August. Then also they don't grow much over the winter; so it is no suprise at all they haven't grown.
    I would expect some growth this year, but next year will probably be much better. :)
    - Tom

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Substantial top growth may not be apparent for several years. Plants need time to establish and develop a decent root system before they produce normal growth rates and with woody plants that can take several seasons. It is not uncommon that late summer or fall planted trees and shrubs would produce no noticeable growth over winter -- in fact, it is more or less expected :-) It is far too soon for you to consider ripping them out - give 'em a few years. I agree with Tom that you should see some growth this spring and more, approaching their normal fast growth rate, as the years progress.

In gardening, patience is a virtue :-)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Healthy stock successfully replanted often nearly recovers its full top growth rate the second spring after planting, due to cut roots having been partially replaced the first fall after planting. I have seen many pines, which produce easily "read" annual growth intervals display a short growth dating from the year they were dug and subjected to cutting of the roots, with much longer intervals immediately above.

No long, lingering period of marked dwarfing of the top lasting for multiple years after transplanting.

There is no reason for a healthy, undamaged specimen placed in a favorable environment to be significantly stunted after it sprouts new roots, extends these roots into surrounding soil.

This root recovery is a two step process, with new roots appearing the first spring after transplanting - but not elongating fully until the first fall after transplanting.

• ian_wa
    14 years ago

Count yourself lucky - they'll be 70' tall before you know it.

• jhuff
    14 years ago

I planted 16 Leylands in a row last October. I haven't seen any growth yet either, which I hear is normal. I was wondering if anyone had some advice on fertilizing and pruning? I have heard to use Hollytone, and not to use Hollytone. I've also heard not to fertilize in the first year. And what's the best thing to do (prune or not prune) for the trees to fill out? I just need these trees to fill out and take off as much as possible to block a very busy road behind my house. Thanks.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

In most cases, the best plan is to just let them be :-) Young Leyland cypress tend to have a very rangy appearance but as the plants grow and develop some maturity, they do fill out and become a much thicker screen. Whether or not you might need to fertilize depends on the trees' appearance - if they are a good, rich color, it is unnecessary. Fertilizing to stimulate rapid growth is generally ill-advised.

• joebeth
    9 years ago

I planted 14 Leyland Cypess in a row,13 of them are now 16 feet high and about 6 feet wide the 1 is only 11 feet by 3 feet and growing scrawny. I feed Hollytone in March and November. Can you help?

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Depends on what the specific problem is with that particular example, something that cannot be determined from the information you have provided here - you may have to have somebody look at the specimen itself before it becomes possible to have an idea what is holding it back.

• Raymond Harrison
    2 years ago

I planted a few in October 21 and none have grown yet..in 1995 got a couple from

Morrisons,2 died within a year,other is still same size,but isn't dead,but hasn't grown.

Remember that was in 1995.It was and remains 40cm..how about that then?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

Would like to see photos of this supposedly live plant that has not grown beyond 15 inches in more than 25 years! If it is indeed still alive, then there is something significant that is restricting any root development. Location could well be a factor too. This thread was intended for gardeners in the Pacific Northwest and here Leylands grow like weeds!! They will easily put on 15 inches of growth in a single season.