Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leyland cypress not growing

Posted by jmehra123 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 8, 10 at 15:53

I planted a few Leyland Cypress trees in my yard last year (around August). Surprisingly the trees have not grown at all. But they are not dying either. Should I wait for spring. I had heard that they have a hardy growth.

Please help. I'm ready to rip them out and put new ones.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leyland cypress not growing

They usually won't grow much in the months after a transplanting, especially one in August. Then also they don't grow much over the winter; so it is no suprise at all they haven't grown.
I would expect some growth this year, but next year will probably be much better. :)
- Tom

o

Substantial top growth may not be apparent for several years. Plants need time to establish and develop a decent root system before they produce normal growth rates and with woody plants that can take several seasons. It is not uncommon that late summer or fall planted trees and shrubs would produce no noticeable growth over winter -- in fact, it is more or less expected :-) It is far too soon for you to consider ripping them out - give 'em a few years. I agree with Tom that you should see some growth this spring and more, approaching their normal fast growth rate, as the years progress.

In gardening, patience is a virtue :-)

o

There is an old garden addage: "First year they sleep, second year they creep, third year they leap".
:)

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 10, 10 at 23:10

Healthy stock successfully replanted often nearly recovers its full top growth rate the second spring after planting, due to cut roots having been partially replaced the first fall after planting. I have seen many pines, which produce easily "read" annual growth intervals display a short growth dating from the year they were dug and subjected to cutting of the roots, with much longer intervals immediately above.

No long, lingering period of marked dwarfing of the top lasting for multiple years after transplanting.

There is no reason for a healthy, undamaged specimen placed in a favorable environment to be significantly stunted after it sprouts new roots, extends these roots into surrounding soil.

This root recovery is a two step process, with new roots appearing the first spring after transplanting - but not elongating fully until the first fall after transplanting.

o

Count yourself lucky - they'll be 70' tall before you know it.

o

• Posted by jhuff LI, NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 19, 10 at 14:54

I planted 16 Leylands in a row last October. I haven't seen any growth yet either, which I hear is normal. I was wondering if anyone had some advice on fertilizing and pruning? I have heard to use Hollytone, and not to use Hollytone. I've also heard not to fertilize in the first year. And what's the best thing to do (prune or not prune) for the trees to fill out? I just need these trees to fill out and take off as much as possible to block a very busy road behind my house. Thanks.

o

In most cases, the best plan is to just let them be :-) Young Leyland cypress tend to have a very rangy appearance but as the plants grow and develop some maturity, they do fill out and become a much thicker screen. Whether or not you might need to fertilize depends on the trees' appearance - if they are a good, rich color, it is unnecessary. Fertilizing to stimulate rapid growth is generally ill-advised.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here