Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxofrox_2007

Winter Damage

boxofrox
14 years ago

Other than that brief early cold spell, the winter has seemingly been quite tame. However, I am a bit perplexed that I lost virtually all of my walkway groundcovers. I had two walks done in bluestar creeper and one done in 'Platt's Black' brass buttons that are now toast. All had gone through multiple winters too. Anyone else have any like probs ?

Comments (18)

• tcstoehr
    14 years ago

I lost a couple shrubs, at least they look dead, although they may come back. I've been told that the 10-degree nights we had in early December were particularly nasty because they came so early. Leastaways, that's what I was told.

• User
    14 years ago

I have a some damage. That week of constant subfreezing weather followed by the week of rain was rough. Yeah, there have been years with more and longer snow but I think most years we don't get a solid 5 - 10 days where it's that cold. The cold is usually more intermittent.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Snow protects plants, except when it rots certain kinds out. The problem with lingering cold is freezing of the roots. Otherwise, it only takes a few hours below a plant's ingrained minimum temperature for effects to be seen.

• jean001
    14 years ago

The problem with December's cold was that it followed a stretch of mild weather. The plants weren't yet hardened off, thus many weren't able to tolerate the cold. I have several shrubs, planted about 8 years ago, which are likely gone, and several more with serious damage.

The big test will come with spring's first hot spell. At that time, still more plants will fail, those with as yet unseen damage to the roots and base of the stem/trunk.

Looks like it will be a fine year for shopping and planting new stuff.

• brody
    14 years ago

The blue star creeper may well come back so I'd hold off a while before replacing it. I always think it's kaput here but it always comes back, whether from the roots or self-sown seedlings, I don't know. Any survivors will spread rapidly.

I think jean001 summed up the major problem in what was otherwise a mild winter. I have a couple of phormiums that were too big to dig up and put under glass-- they look like goners. I think Ellisiophyllum might be dead too, mainly from damage from last winter. And, as usual, the tip growth of Hydrangea 'Ayesha' got cut back, which means it won't flower much this year. I'm not sure if this plant just doesn't like me or if it's more tender than other Hydrangeas, but it's the only one I've ever had problems with. Frustrating.

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have no immediate plans to replace, in this anemic economy I have much bigger fish to fry. Between the 3 walkways, they were 150' long and that's lots and lots of flats :-(

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    14 years ago

It's too early to be making conclusions, and while I expect some winter dieback any year, I seem to be seeing considerable damage to fuchsia magellanicas. Styrax officinalis and melianthus aren't showing any signs of life. I'm concerned about lobelia tupa, young plants just installed in the ground in September at about 6 mo old from seed.

Glaucidium palmatum and iris chrysographes seedlings that had just germinated in late September - gone.

What is surprising me is the amount of damage and loss to young plants and rooted cuttings in containers that I hadn't thought might be questionable, those things that have sailed through winters without faltering many other years....hellebores, meconopsis, tree peony, all yr old plants from seed. 2 yr old sarcococca. Well rooted cuttings of viburnum, billardiera. Insult to injury, one large clay pot that I think I've had at least 12 years has a pronounced crack :(

• jean001
    14 years ago

In general, recent plantings are more sensitive to cold damage than are established ones.

As for the Melianthus, mine always shows up much later than this. So I'm not yet concerned.

Another side effect of winter damage is this: Damaged but surviving plants are very likely to show growth later than they normally would.

That said, whatever the amount of damage you see or not, the keyword is wait. Wait until the plants "tell" you what's alive & what's dead.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Likely the main thing is how low some night temperatures got and not what happened beforehand. The November 1985 arctic blast that killed or crippled some things got those kinds that are late to mature in this climate, were often still in leaf. December is usually the coldest month here, if something is not mature by December it just is not that well adapted to northern winters.

• jennie
    14 years ago

I'm guessing that cold spell is why all my camellia's flower buds died off. Fortunately the leaf buds seems to be fine, so it'll be a healthy plant.

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jennie,

Funny you should mention that, early on I was really excited because all 5 of mine were loaded with buds. 'Liberty Belle' did not disappoint and was spectacular. My 'Grandiflora' (white w/pink and red stripes) is just blooming now along with a 'Marie Bracie' right next it. But both 'Tom Knudsen' and 'Scentsation' lost almost every bud.

• schizac
    14 years ago

Hi Glenn! Both my Isotoma fluviatilis and Pratia 'County Park' turned to mush after the December snap but both are growing back vigorously now, hope yours are too. My Leptinella gruveri however looks dreadful. In my experience Leptinella is not very evergreen around here. I bet your 'Rokeys Purple' are looking good though!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Hi Glenn from me too :-) Although Leptinella is very hardy, it is not entirely evergeen in our climate, especially in a rough winter. But I would expect it come back with a flourish soon.

I think I must have landed in a very benign little microclimate over here in Kitsap -- other than losing a container planted coprosma (which I entirely expected), none of my plants have experienced any winter damage. And most are still in their moving containers and showing a lot of very healthy and vigorous new growth. My drimys is even blooming already.

Now if I could just get all the overgrowth cleaned out enough to plant them all, I'd be a happy camper :-)

• muddydogs
    14 years ago

Gardengal is in a hotter zone than the cold zones.

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi you's two's ;-)

Although I would love to be optimistic that it would all make it back, it's still not looking very promising. I may get lucky on the path through the memory garden.......

But the pond path with the 'Platt's Black' I'm afraid is toast...........

The front path isn't going to recover either, I'm afraid..........

The Rokey's is all plumped up foliage wise but hasn't really popped yet, I added some more since you were here though so this year it should really be awesome :-)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

I'd be patient :-) They both may surprise you. And if you are out in the area of Emery's anytime soon, check out their planting of Leptinella 'Platt's Black' under the big Mt. Fuji cherry - it has been around for about 10 years and has been through some pretty harsh winter conditions. There's a lot of it planted in the Japanese garden as well.

FWIW, leptinella is listed as hardy to zone 4 - if it grows in St. Louis, MO (MOBOT), it sure ought to be able to take the winter here :-)

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I know, it's wintered worse ones for sure. It's never really turned to mush though so we'll see.

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, it's pretty much official, the groundcover on the last two above pictured walks is toast :-(

On a brighter note the Rokey's Purple is going to be awesome this year ;-)

{{gwi:1071878}}

{{gwi:1071880}}

{{gwi:1071882}}