Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Himayalan Sweetbox Sarcococca

Posted by cadence 8a (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 16:12

Today I purchased 2 of these to plant on the north side of my house. Can these be planted in 15" wide x 20" deep urns? What should I fertilize them with and when? Do they like moist soil? The urns are placed below the overhang of the house,but I can move them out if I need to. Also, when do these bloom?
Thank you very much for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Himayalan Sweetbox Sarcococca

Sarcococca can make a good container plant. The dwarf/groundcover form, S. hookeriana var. humilis, tends to sucker or produce a lot of spreading rhizomes so the upright forms may be more suitable.

Anything grown in a container will need care different from the same plant growing in the ground, including attention to watering and some supplemental fertilization. Sarcococca is not a heavy feeder so some slow release fert at time of potting is sufficient for the season. And while rather drought tolerant once established, containerized plants will appreciate periodic thorough watering in the driest parts of our summer.

Sarcococca is valued for its intensely scented flowers that appear in winter. Expect flowering to occur somewhere around late December/early January. And the flower display and aroma lasts for a good month or more.

o
RE: Himayalan Sweetbox Sarcococca

Great information Garden Gal.
Wow! blooms at Christmas time? Wonderful.
The tag says: Sarcococca humilis 'Sarsid'
Thanks again for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here