Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
manzanita1

Evergreen screen for privacy?

manzanita1
18 years ago

I need help! I live in southern Oregon and I'm trying to find a fast growing tree to plant in along a fence, 1500' worth. I've bought Thuja 'Green Giants' but the BRONZE color is not working. I'm thinking about leyland cypress Emerald Isle 'Moncal'...The other leylands seem to turn into monsters to quickly!!! I need something that hold its green in the winter and grows fast...The fence is along a group of track homes. The houses are to the south so I won't be blocking out the sun. Thuja plicata or occidentalis cultivators or?

Thank you

Comments (10)

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

Calocedrus decurrens. Not fast but superior otherwise-and native to southern Oregon. 'Moncal' is unlikely to appear much different from the others in time, the more vivid green seems to be the main feature.

• manzanita1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you bboy...Where I raised we have quite a few. I love them but the wife wants something a little faster. How about Thuja plicata 'GROVEPLI' SPRING GROVE. Does this bronze in the winter as bad as the Green giant? Or ?

Thank you again!

• eric_in_west_seattle
    18 years ago

Sounds like what you need is bamboo.

If interested I can refer you to sources in your area.

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

The yen for an instant hedge that is also tidy is nearly constantly expressed on this site. As a rule you can't have it both ways, fast = unruly. Bamboo does have the advantage of each culm growing to its full height the first summer and then stopping.

• Mary Palmer
    18 years ago

Bamboo makes a great privacy screen! It involves low maintenance sometimes called 'Gardening'. There are some great suppliers in your area. If you have access to a tractor or rototiller you have all you need for rhizome control, if you wish to keep it thinned out, a reciprocating saw works great. Feed the thinnings to livestock.It is a grass after all...
    If you are not into gardening and don't have the equipment or access to it, choose a slower growing more expensive evergreen. It's hard to believe anyone REALLY NEEDS 1500' of solid screening.

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

Mixed planting is best, except where planning to shear or wanting a formal effect--something not called for nearly as often as it is undertaken. A border of assorted trees and shrubs will be more effective a screen and have more interest, plus if a particular variety doesn't take or fails later the same level of misfortune will not occur than as if the whole planting was made up of this one kind.

• eric_in_west_seattle
    18 years ago

I always think in terms of sightlines. If you are trying to block a view of something 100 feet away from a sitting area, you can plant something really tall and broad 90 feet away or something much shorter and narrower only 10 feet away.

The mixed planting can incorporate trees/shrubs/bamboos at varying distances and placements from your common viewing areas.

Does that make sense?
    I'd still plant a few clumps of bamboo, regardless. There are some amazing and uncommon varieties.

• annzgw
    18 years ago

Have you considered Prunus caroliniana or Prunus laurocerasus or are you wanting a conifer?

• memom27
    15 years ago

Reading this post in 10/08. Wondering what you finally planted and how's it doing? I'm looking for a similar solution. Regardless of poster who wondered about a 1500' screen, I can see you needing it. I need one about 1400' just behind the dam of a pond to screen the timberland that's just been cut over.
    WindyOaks, SE Georgia

• homernoy
    15 years ago

Have you thought of trying Ceanothus thyrsiflorus? This small tree might not get as tall as you want, but can easily grow to 20ft. It grows fairly quickly and has wonderful blue flowers. This plant is a native to coastal Southern Oregon, but can take quite a bit of cold so it might do well for you. I can't imagine them being very expensive either.

Ligustrum lucidum is another fairly fast broadleaf evergeen that works well as a natural or formal hedge. It does much better in Southern Oregon than in the Seattle area for some reason. Here is a picture of a Ligustrum lucidum a couple of hundred yards from my house. It was cut down this year unfortunately.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ceanothus thyrsiflorus