Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yvonne's Salvia Celebration

Posted by patrick888 z8 SeaTac WA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 9, 09 at 16:14

Some of you may be aware of the large Salvia splendens that was discovered by an older couple in their salvia patch they grew every year from their own seeds. They have come to be known as simply Yvonne's salvia. The story was written up in Birds and Blooms magazine by Emily Huntington, who subsequently grew the 6' salvias herself and was instrumental in helping Yvonne distribute seeds all over N. America (and they've gone on to other countries as well). For the past few years, Yvonne's salvia has been a topic of various threads on the GW Salvia forum, as well as others.

The elderly couple have both passed away - Yvonne most recently, about 10 days ago. We have a movement under way promoting the idea of growing this salvia this year in tribute to Yvonne, celebrating her salvia and the wonderful person that she was. An effort is also being made to officially introduce this salvia under her name.

On the GW Winter Sowing forum you can see the original thread on this topic. Check it out, see a link to Yvonne's obituary, and if you have her seeds or can get ahold of some, join us in planting Yvonne's Salvia this year in her memory.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting aTribute to Yvonne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yvonne's Salvia Celebration

Can you find any of the seeds locally ? I added a bunch of 'Black and Blue' to my garden last year and the hummers were in heaven. If they like 'Yvonne's' even half as much I'd probably have to wear a helmet :-)

o

Hummers do use Yvonne's Salvia, but I don't know whether they favor them equally with Black and Blue. The seeds have not been introduced into commercial production so far. They have been passed from one person to the next as they harvest seeds from their plants.

I will send you an email.

o

Hi Patrick: If you have any extra seeds, I would like to make room for this salvia in my garden. I went back and read a little about Ivonne --What a great idea. If you are all out of seeds please keep me in mind for next year. Thanks a lot.

o

I've emailed boxofrox and flora2. I've been sharing the few seeds I have on hand in 30-seed allotments for either a SASBE or $2 for me to provide the same. I'll soon be out of my seed supply, but Emily said you can contact her or Karen for seeds...see the referenced GW thread.

o

Patrick,

I haven't received an e-mail as of yet. I do have several full sun spots left where I wouldn't mind them.

o

boxofrox...please email me at my profile address.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here