Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where are my hostas?

Posted by catluv 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 16:23

Should I be worried that out of 10 + plants only one "eye" has emerged as of yet? I feel like everything else (bulbs) has come up "early" this year... right? Late last fall, after all the leaves had died, I removed them and divided three large mounds into several smaller ones, spacing them out because they had become quite crowded. Does it take longer for newly divided "eyes" to come up in the spring?

As a new, inexperienced gardener, I find myself going outside daily and anxiously surveying the flower beds, looking for any sign of the hosta eyes... I hope my dividing and spacing project last year didn't kill them off.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where are my hostas?

Be patient :-) It's still very early in the season and none of mine are making much of a showing yet either. Give it a few weeks.

IME, it takes something akin to a nuclear blast to kill a hosta. No worries about dividing or transplanting.

o

Re: "it takes something akin to a nuclear blast to kill a hosta''
or a mountain beaver........

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 21:41

....Or slugs.
They LOVE Hostas.
Mike

o

Slugs may munch on 'em but they won't kill 'em! And some hostas are not considered by slugs to be very tasty. The rougher, more wrinkled the hosta foliage, the less likely they are going to be high on the slugs' menu.

Here is a link that might be useful: slug resistant hosta varieties

o

• Posted by toad_ca z7b Bellingham, WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 19:55

I'm in a cooler zone, and my hostas are just now poking up through the mulch. Though it has been a mild winter, some plants are smarter than those of us skipping around, tootling that it's SPRING!

o

It's possible that if hostas are planted too deeply, they would emerge slowly in the spring. In my experience, they also in general are more vigorous and grow faster if they are planted a little bit high. The ones that do well for me have an inch or so of root visible at the soil surface around the eyes. I cover it with compost mulch, but they are that shallow.

If they are planted too deeply, they can decline and even disappear over time.

The good news is that if you think this is what happened, you can just dig them up now and replant them higher, and they will be fine. They are very tough and tolerant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here