Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peony

Posted by GartenOma WA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 16:24

Several years ago, I planted a tree or Chinese peony--it did well until last year's early storm sliced it in half. It did nothing last year and I thought it was dead, but left it. This year there are a couple of new shoots, but only on the very top. This one never had more than one stem from which two more main stems developed (one of them got sliced off); another one I planted at the same time, has many stems and keeps shooting up more.
Is there any way that I can revive this precious plant? Should I cut it back to encourage growth from the root?
Any information is appreciated--thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peony

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 15:11

With any that are grafted shoots from the root will belong to a herbaceous peony and not the tree peony. You can tell if this is your situation because as the herbaceous shoots develop they appear obviously different. And they die back to the ground in fall.

A weak tree peony that is not grafted I would try to stimulate with good general conditions, same as with any other kind of plant that is not infested with pests or a pathogen that are sapping it. Look up what site conditions tree peonies want and try to provide those.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here