Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mooserider

NW native for dry riverbed

mooserider
12 years ago

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts for a nice NW native plant to go along the edges of a dry riverbed I have? The habitat is forest understory, so shady. Something that can grow out onto the rocks and into the riverbed rocks.

Please let me know if you have any ideas. I have a preference for berries or things that wild can eat or be attracted to.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• larry_gene
    12 years ago

Thimbleberry, red huckleberry, salal, and dewberry will grow under such conditions. Only the dewberry will trail out onto the rocks, and it if ever takes hold, you will not be walking there anymore. I have seen extensive mats of it on the lower Clackamas. All of these berries fruit better in partial sun, but animals will browse the foliage.

• botann
    12 years ago

I think Gaultheria procumbens would work, although not a native here.
    I wish it were.
    Mike

• tanowicki
    12 years ago

The Garry Oak Ecosystems Recovery Team Society in Canada has a great handbook (free to download) with native planting guides. Some of the plants may be suited to more northern climates but the lists are good. For their fruit & nut hedgerow, they list:

Blue elderberry (Sambucus caerula)
    Beaked hazelnut (Corylus cornuta var. californica)
    Western yew (Taxus brevifolia)
    Saskatoon (Amelanchier alnifolia)
    Tall Oregon-grape (Mahonia aquifolium)
    Red-flowering currant (Ribes sanguineum)
    Nootka rose (Rosa nutkana)

Of those, I know the local native plant people are always pushing the oregon grape (low or tall). My red-flowering currant is spectacular right now and attracts the hummingbirds, I'll likely get another one at some point. I do have a nootka rose amongst my other roses - it's a very thorny rose.

• mooserider
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Awesome, thanks so much for the responses... this gives me lots of choices to look at! Thank you!

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Tall Oregon grape looks good with rocks, has been a standard landscape item for years. However, many examples of this shrub at local outlets and in garden plantings here have a rust problem now. Even a formerly extra handsome form up the street from me has become shabby looking. I have also seen this condition present on all plants in a wild population at one site on Camano Island. Perhaps it is the result of dull and damp seasons prevaling since the northern Pacific cooled in 2006.

As always, which species of plant does well in your spot depends on what specific soil and exposure conditions are there, including what kinds of trees are overhanging it and how low and shade-producing they are. Different kinds of small plants grow on different kinds of soils, under different kinds of trees.

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

Native sedges & ferns would look nice accenting the sides closest to the rocks, then the berry shrubs further away. I've used the King County list to identify natives at our place.

Here is a link that might be useful: Native Plant List

• reg_pnw7
    12 years ago

Since the Garry oak doesn't go much farther north or east than the Victoria/Vancouver area, there's no reason to think the plants recommended by GOERT would not grow well anywhere in western WA or OR.

Gaultheria procumbens may not be native here but G. ovatifolia is, and looks similar - a miniaturized salal. I have some in a bonsai pot and it's very nice.

• tanowicki
    12 years ago

I agree that the GOERT plants would generally do well. I was thinking maybe 5% or so wouldn't do great in the further south reaches of the PNW.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

I've never been able to get blue elderberry to take, and I've tried several in several locations. I think it is probably significant that although native to the Seattle area it is very limited in number here, whereas there are large quantities of red elderberry around.