Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blameitontherain

Remember That Cool Recycled Greenhouse?

blameitontherain
18 years ago

Hi.

It was a big hit at the 2005 Seattle Flower & Garden Show, and featured brightly colored old multi-paned windows with metal planters attached. When the windows were lowered, the planters would tip out and self-level, which gave the flowers tucked inside their own little ferris wheel ride.

I only saw a picture of it in the paper, as was not able to attend that year's show. With the prospect of finally having the time to construct a greenhouse for our property, and not wanting to add more junk to the commerce stream, I find myself obsessed with creating something similar. If any of you have additional pictures (or better yet, movies) of it, or have any ideas on how it was constructed, I would love to hear from you.

It was just the coolest thing.

Anyone?

Thank you!

Rain

Comments (15)

• Mearth
    18 years ago

This guy builds some groovy stuff. I own the 'eccentric' GH now and grew a great crop of gourds in it last summer. He particularly enjoys custom jobs, and will work alongside the homeowner. If you contact him, tell him Natalie sent ya.

Here is a link that might be useful: Round-Two productions

• blameitontherain
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bamboomary -- Yes! That's it! Don't you just love all the different colors on the windows? Must confess, I peeked at some of your other pictures on the link. Very nice stuff.

Mearth (Natalie) -- Those GHs are great. Reasonably priced and earth-friendly to boot. I'll definitely keep him in mind if I can't get a better handle on how to make the ferris wheel planters like the one at the Show.

I have read that the person who created this wonder is not too keen on reproducing the same. A big bouquet of sweet peas for anyone able to come up with a rough plan on how to build something similar!

Enjoying the unexpected sunshine,

Rain

• eric_in_west_seattle
    18 years ago

Hi:

What keeps the cost way way down is to gather/scavenge free recycled materials like windows and doors and then make your design. If you scavenge craigslist "free" or "household" categories, you can accumulate enough materials cheaply or free.

• dtaylor_seattle
    18 years ago

I still think about that green house too! It was so inspiring. I would love to hear about or see pictures of any greenhouses make of recycled windows and doors!

• blameitontherain
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the reminder about Craig's List, Eric. I've gone to some of the local salvage places and the prices have not always been what one would expect to pay for heavily used items. Craig was featured in the current Costco member-mag. What an amazing person and what a fabulous resource he has created.

dtaylor: If you haven't yet, check out the GH on Mearth's link up post. Not as aesthetically pleasing, perhaps, but good use of recycled materials.

Thank you all (and the sweet pea offer still stands),

Rain

• seattlesuze
    18 years ago

This was great!

• blameitontherain
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you, seattlesuze! Great pictures. You've captured the Ferris wheel effect that I found particularly enchanting. Now, if I can just figure out how to copy your photos and bring them to a handy-type person, I might have a chance at creating something like this.

Back to the rains of March in the ides of March,

Rain

• elulu
    16 years ago

This is so-o-o cool. I think I could build this. The windows are the easiest thing. The round structure with the grass roof looks more difficult. Is it ok to duplicate this? I have lots of windows and french doors.

• sethky
    14 years ago

It's from pages like this that I got the inspiration to build a greenhouse out of windows from my parents' house. See the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: My greenhouse

• oregoncurtis
    14 years ago

Wow very cool

• briergardener_gw
    14 years ago

Your GH is very nice, but mineral wool...
    Aren't you concern about your veggies growing in this media?
    From the site:
    "Prolonged exposure could lead to long term effects and it is considered a possible carcinogen to humans, similar to asbestos"

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    14 years ago

sethky:
    As a lover of modern architecture and minimalism, I have to say that your greenhouse is spectacular!

• Patrick888
    14 years ago

I don't want to be a naysayer, but does anyone else feel this "greenhouse" has limited application? As a greenhouse, it lacks the typical light-transmitting roof, so much of the interior has inadequate light for most plants. Plant size is limited. Unless used only in mild weather, the plants would need to be kept in pots so they could be rotated or they'd grow towards the light. If used during cold weather, it appears the windows don't fit tightly, so I'm guessing it isn't practical from an energy efficiency perspective. I also assume the windows must be opened/closed manually, so it would need careful monitoring, i.e., make sure someone's home to open/close it as needed. While it's cute & whimsical...really...how practical is it? Wouldn't some coldframes work just as well, or possibly better?

• greener1974
    14 years ago

I bought some items at an estate sale this fall and there was a greenhouse very much like the one pictured (or possibly that exact one) in the yard facing Lake Washington. It was on the NW corner of S. Day St. and Lk. Washington Blvd. S. I haven't been back in the area since, so I don't know if it was sold or if it is still there. Looked very cool, but had no plants growing in it as far as I could see.