Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anuparaj_gw

Roses for PNW..Round 2.

anuparaj
13 years ago

After years of trying to avoid planting roses, I have decided to give them another try...Roses are my favorite annual.

Anyone have recommendations on disease resistant varieties for the PNW?

Those that have done well for me so far,

Gourmet Popcorn. FANTASTIC little miniature shrub. Tough as nails.

Sally Holmes,

Royal Sunset,

And obviously, the knockouts...But I want to try others. Anyone with suggestion?

I�m using this as a starting list of disease resistant varieties. http://www.marinrose.org/diseasefreeroses.html

Comments (8)

• Ratherbgardening
    13 years ago

Heirloom Roses in Oregon is a good source for disease resistant varieties and they will help you decide which will be best for your area. They're not grafted roses and they are small plants, but they take off well. They have a sale in August with some good prices, but it may just be at the nursery. I don't remember since it has been a long time since I was there.

• lucretia1
    13 years ago

anuparaj,

Are you considering once-blooming roses (that bloom for a period of several weeks at the beginning of the summer) or only those that bloom all season long?

Several of the old garden roses do really well here. One of my favorites is "Rose de Rescht"--it repeat blooms, is fragrant, and is a great looking shrub with dark blue-green foliage. For once-bloomers, good ones include "Duchesse de Montebello", "Belle de Crecy", "Felicite Parmentier", "Charles De Mills", "James Mason", and a bunch more. If you like "Sally Holmes", you also might like "Lyda Rose"--and it will bloom its darn head off. Another place you can order the roses besides Heirloom is Rogue Valley Roses in Oregon. Bigger plants are available at the Antique Rose Farm in Snohomish, and they should be able to answer a bunch of questions, too.

A good place to check out roses is HelpMeFind.com. You can go to the roses section, search on a plant name, and see photos and all sorts of comments by members. Plus you can find out places to buy a rose--there's a "Buy From" tab.

• anuparaj
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I prefer repeat bloomers. :)

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Rose de Rust is more like it. Nice fragrance, but...

For another, locally developed list...

Here is a link that might be useful: Seattle Rose Society Recommended Puget Sound Rose Performers

• hemnancy
    13 years ago

My favorites-
    Climbing- Zepherine Drouhin, thornless, first and last bloom, always has a few flowers, some mildew but I don't spray
    Dublin Bay- slow grower but gorgeous red long-lasting blooms
    Crepuscule- lovely peach/cream
    Fourth of July- not very tall but nice flowers

OGR- Marie Pavie, Hyb Musk Cornelia, Penelope
    Gallica roses- once blooming but fantastic- Belle de Crecy, noid blush, Rosa Mundi
    Floribunda- Apricot Nectar, fantastic peach; Betty Boop, wonderful fades to different colors, always blooming
    Buck- Distant Drums- wonderful display, myrrh fragrance
    Ground cover- The Faun, Seafoam, Baby Blanket

• blameitontherain
    13 years ago

Chortle, snerk, Plantknitter. I seem to have the same specialty!

The OP inquired about disease resistant variety. The Seattle Rose Society's recommended list contains only three that need "little or no spraying" -- and one of those is the extremely boring and competely non-fragrant, Knock-out. I find that list extremely unhelpful.

Grumpily,

Rain

• tanowicki
    13 years ago

I'm with Plantknitter and Blameitontherain with the specialty on spotted roses. Since I'm not trying to win a rose competition, I don't do anything about it.

My roses are on the side of the driveway thanks to the previous owners. They look great and bloom plenty but I do nothing but trim them down. I figure a little stress means less pruning and makes it easier to get out of the car.