Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulyn_gw

What are your favorite work gloves?

paulyn
11 years ago

I wear "big box" cotton-knit gloves dipped in poly but because I live in a rainy, muddy, cold area my fingers are often wet, very cold and miserable. Can you recommend something that will be warm but not cumbersome? I don't mind being wet. Just not cold, too.

I work 1 1/2 acres and do a lot of heavy weeding, shoveling, ditch digging, and general yard maintenance. Thanks.

Comments (10)

• quillfred
    11 years ago

I have Winter gloves that are thick suede and lined with artificial sheepskin. They have become somewhat hard to find in stores and a quick web search did not produce them either.

They are not finesse gloves but great for shoveling, moving, pruning, etc. I usually do finesse work without gloves.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Look for the Atlas ThermaFit work gloves. These have the nitrile palms and fingers but are woven with Thinsulate so they keep your fingers roasty-toasty :-) At least until they become completely soaked - nothing will keep your fingers warm if the fabric surrounding them is soaked with water. They retail about $7-8 a pair and most garden centers carry them.

• WhatWasIThinkingPDX
    11 years ago

I wear Nitrile gloves under my work gloves. I get them at Costco in boxes of 100. They work great at keeping your hands warm and dry in the winter no matter how wet your work gloves get.

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

I don't care for Nitrile gloves but I do love rubber and partially rubber gloves.

Here is a link that might be useful: my favorite gloves

• loubell
    10 years ago

I use the inexpensive yellow rubber gloves. They are available anywhere. Costco sells a multipair bag. They last along time, maybe not as long as a more expensive pair, but they are so cheap it isn't a concern. Years ago I worked at a nursery and everyone wore these gloves. Give them a try!

• laurell
    10 years ago

I use the cotton nitrile dipped gloves from costco, and if it's wet, I'll just wear a pair of normal rubber gloves under them. Keeps my fingers dry and warmish.

• bluewillow09
    10 years ago

I have a box of different types of gloves I've tried in the past but the last few years all I have been using is disposable latex-type gloves from costco, the medical kind. They fit snug and keep the mud from under my fingernails. When I'm done for the day, I toss them in the trash. Once in a while I wear a hole through and have to grab another pair but they are more durable than you'd think. If I'm doing something where my hands need more protection, I use the knit ones with the grippy stuff on the palm side. But I hate washing muddy gloves so I don't use them often!

• gardenrescue2012
    10 years ago

I've tried nearly everything out there at this point. I rely on Atlas nitrile tough, which are very light and coated in nitrile. The back is not coated, so if you are working in wet foliage, you might eventually get wet. But can't beat the dexterity and grip on these gloves. I don't care for the thermal ones because they are too thick. They sell for around $5.

• gardenrescue2012
    10 years ago

I've tried nearly everything out there at this point. I rely on Atlas nitrile tough, which are very light and coated in nitrile. The back is not coated, so if you are working in wet foliage, you might eventually get wet. But can't beat the dexterity and grip on these gloves. I don't care for the thermal ones because they are too thick. They sell for around $5.

• jewell_pnw
    10 years ago

I'm fond of the non latex disposable medical gloves (Costco) for light weeding, potting etc. I wear them under the cotton latex dipped gloves when I'm doing heavier work. Hands stay dry, warm and clean. Hope you find the perfect combo for you.