Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natalija_gardener

what is our last frost date?

natalija_gardener
14 years ago

I live in Western Wa(Federal Way- Tacoma area). Can you please tell me what is considered our last frost date?

Thank you

Comments (6)

• blameitontherain
    14 years ago

Hello, Natalija.

Not clear whether you are looking for Spring or Fall dates, but the link below will provide you with the averages for your area.

Happy Friday,

Rain

Here is a link that might be useful: NOAA Average Frost/Freeze

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Apparently, it depends on who you ask! Why different sources should have such a range of dates that technically are based on an average compilation of temperature lows over a period of time is a bit of a mystery. Some (or at least one) seem overly conservative....others may be a bit optimistic but figuring towards the end of this month or early next month seems reasonable.

Specific microclimates may come into play as well :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: last frost dates not all the same.....

• botann
    14 years ago

It depends on how far from the Sound you are combined with your altitude. I'm on a bluff (750 ft.)near Maple Valley and had a frost this morning.
    I've been working in the garden with a T-shirt the last few days, savoring every bit of this good weather. I keep waiting for the weather pendulum to swing the other way.

Global warming is a hard sell back east.

• whygarden
    14 years ago

Thats a very good question?????In ther northwest you can be 10 miles apart and have 10 to 20 degrees in temp...I have had frost in AUG...Just got a good one last night...Never be in a rush(i know its hard when the weather has been so nice)to plant.You never really gain that much...get yourself a soil temp.gage.Soory for spelling i cant spell...lol

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

The relevance of the last frost date has a lot to do with what you are planting. For hardy perennials, shrubs and trees - as long as they have not been overwintered or coddled in a heated greenhouse - the last frost date really has no bearing. These are not frost sensitive plants and other than some possible slight damage to newly emerged foliage, they should be fine. Cold sensitive plants like many vegetables and flowering annuals are a different story and one should wait before planting or be prepared to provide frost protection as necessary.

Frost in August?? On what mountain top do you live? Even in the colder areas of our state (portions of EWA), mid-September is about the earliest we encounter frost and even that is extremely unusal.

• grrrnthumb
    14 years ago

May 1st has always been a traditional safe day for much of lowland NW Wa, but I put my tropicals out on April 15, maybe April 1 this year because it's warmer.

Fall 1st frost date is usually October 15th here, I bring the tropicals in about Nov 1st. (Marysville, 450' elevation)
    - Tom