Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ian_wa

Chamaecytisus species

ian_wa
15 years ago

Are these in nurseries or gardens at all in the Northwest? Any particular reason why they wouldn't be? I can't say I've ever seen one.

Comments (5)

• muddydogs
    15 years ago

Never heard of them before. Is this some kind of false broom?

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Have appeared at local outlets in the past. I think I have bought one, although this purchase did not result in a long and memorable relationship. Also recall a small planting being at Children's Hospital at one time.

Have you looked at The Plant Locator - Western Region for listings?

• ian_wa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, another genus of brooms. They sound interesting in Botanica's 'Trees and Shrubs' although you can only tell so much from a few brief descriptions and small pictures. They seem to offer some different flower colors than those Genistas. I'll check the plant locator but I'd kind of like to see what a big one looks like around here before I buy one.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Today I parked near the hospital and walked up the main drive. Saw no sign of the brooms in the general area they used to be in, along the drive. At the north entrance to the upper building a gardener was working. She said she had worked at the hospital seven years and had not seen this plant.

I continued on and had a look around, but did not see any of the broom. Anyone living in the area or visiting Seattle from outside the area and interested in botanical garden style plant displays should visit this facility as the grounds there have been planted and maintained in such a fashion for many years.

The cafeteria had a display case with one piece of cake and one piece of pie and a sign "Cake and Pie, $1.85".

Well, I thought it was funny.

Out in the seating area I encountered a very overweight boy chowing down on what appeared to be the same kind of cake - but at least twice the size of my piece!

As I walked by, also shoveling it in I thought of asking if he had in fact purchased the same item for the same price - but his family/companions immediately appeared to sense my interest and all glared at me in unison.

I kept moving.

And gobbling.

• ian_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I should go there sometime. I've heard of a couple things there that I might like to, um, propagate... haha.