Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geargirl_gw

Looking for 2 plants!

geargirl
14 years ago

I'm looking for a local source for 2 plants, and I figured this would be an awesome place to start!

I'm looking for a Japanese Climbing Hydrangea to plant along a fence, and an Abelia mosanensis. I'd love to get both plants in a gallon pot, if possible, but any size will do.

Both would be planted in partial sun, which I think will work for both plants. Any info would be appreciated, including hearing about folks' experience growing these 2 plants in the lovely pacific nw.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (4)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

You're probably talking about Schizophragma hydrangeoides. You should be able to find that around, many retail garden centers stock it.

Although picked up and sent out for awhile by Monrovia, the abelia was seen here and there and may not be so prevalent this year - it blooms for a comparatively short time and the fragrance, as encountered by yours truly in this climate has not been such a knockout experience as depicted by others. The public here may have started to become bored with it already. With all the other abelias in place in nursery yards, with months-long bloom cycles and semi-evergreen, often brightly variegated foliages a type like this could be easily overshadowed.

Ask at nearby outlet(s) what they have of these now, if anything and what they will attempt to get in later in the season.

Ask at independent garden centers with substantial selections, not at Home Depot etc.

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

I bought Abelia mosanensis at Collector's Nursery, which I think ceased mail-order sales a couple of years ago, after smelling it in bloom in their garden. It was indeed wonderful. However, I've had it 7 years, moved it once because it wasn't doing well, and now it is by a concrete porch where it gets heat from the concrete, but maybe also some alkalinity, and it is supposed to like acid soils. Anyway, it is 3' tall, rather sparse and fragile in appearance, seems to lack the vigor of regular Abelia, and hasn't bloomed for me yet- I hope it may this spring... It has Japanese Anemone plants growing closely around it so may be crowded by them. I'm generally happier with Lonicera syringantha which has very fragrant small purple flowers in spring, and also Daphnes like Summer Ice which has flowers in spring and to a lesser extent all summer into fall, and D. tangutica which mounds nicely and blooms heavily in spring.

• geargirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bboy and hemnancy: thanks for your replies! yes, I think the Schizophragma hydrangeoides is the correct vine I'm looking for. I'm glad to hear it's stocked by some local garden centers. I'll start looking!

Thank you for the information about the fragrant abelia. I was wondering how it might do in our climate, and since I was attracted to the idea of so much fragrance in the summer, I'll start searching around for the plants you suggested. It seems they might be a better choice for the Northwest.

Thanks again!

geargirl

• daphnexduck
    9 years ago

Hi, Geargirl,
    I'm considering getting a Schizophragma and of course I checked on Gardenweb first. I'd love to know if you got one and how it's been doing for you. Would you recommend it?

Daphne in Tacoma