Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to prune roses?

Posted by natalija_gardener (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 10, 10 at 19:22

When is the good time to prune roses in Pnw? Is it o'key to do it now?
Thanks for your input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to prune roses?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 10, 10 at 22:53

February.

Better get on it.

o

Yep! February, hurry up!

o

Don't panic......it is certainly not too late :-) There is quite a bit of flexibility in the timing of rose pruning in our climate. The Seattle Rose Society recommends the optimum pruning time from late February to midMarch or when the forsythia is in bloom, which is right now. Portland area nurseries feature rose pruning clinics this weekend.

The worst a delayed pruning will do is push back the bloom season slightly.

o

I didn't mean to sound like it was a fate worse than death to not have pruned already...:)

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 12, 10 at 0:27

It's preferable to do the winter pruning before growth is as extended as it is now in the local lowlands. But the plants will certainly not fail pruned back now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here