Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very New to the site

Posted by Castlemum 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 19:24

I am searching the site and am reading tons of tips, tricks, and suggestions for the Pacific Northwest. I am planning to plant a few pots on my apartment patio. I don't have any heirloom seeds, live on a limited income, but want to provide myself and family with some good eats.
I noticed the Amish paste tomatoe is a good choice for this area and am looking for seeds. I will be moving to Ocean Shores area in June and want to take my pots with me, and hopefully find a place to extend my garden. Ok, now I will continue reading more posts. Glad to be here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very New to the site

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 23:47

Especially out there you would surely do best to grow your tomatoes inside a plastic shelter. This can be quite important in the earlier, cooler parts of the season as well as after the peak of warm temperatures - I've had them blight off as early as August on Camano Island, just as they were coming into production.

o
RE: Very New to the site

I've found that Baker Creek Seeds has one of the best selections of heirloom tomatoes. (Or any heirlooms for that matter) They're out of Missouri so you have to be careful and choose only the earliest ripening ones. They'll send you a catalog free...it's fun to look at even if you don't buy anything.

You might also check out Territorial Seed Company. They're here in Oregon and carry a lot of locally adapted varieties. Kinda spendy though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here