Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbieberry

Help me choose a clematis please

gardenbug
14 years ago

Hi, I want to plant some clematis this year next to my trellis/fence. I need some names of clematis that will thrive in morning shade and afternoon sun. I prefer white, cream or a very rich mauve. Thank you.

Comments (22)

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Huldine

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Also 'Henryi', 'Miss Bateman' and 'Guernsey Cream' -- actually there are many wonderful white flowering clems and dozens of mauve colored ones as well. Check out Clematis on the Web for a huge searchable data base.

And if you are interested in early spring flowering and fragrance as well, Clematis armandii 'Snowdrift' is hard to beat for this area.

Here is a link that might be useful: COW

• kkaren_marie
    14 years ago

What I like to do is buy the clematis early when you can get them as little cuttings $1.50 -$ 2.50 range, then plant several together. Also in this size you can stick them into small spaces and they always seem to grow fine. The little guys catch up in size in no time at all. So pick all the ones you want!!!!

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for all your help. Okay, I think I am in love with Guernsey Cream. I googled it and some sites say it is a creamy white color and others' say it is a pale yellow. I don't want a yellow clematis. So, is it cream or yellow? I hope it is cream. Yellow stamens are fine.

Also, does it take morning shade and hot afternoon sun for about 3-4 hours? I also read that it doesn't like hot afternoon sun.

Gardengal: I also love the Huldine. The white sounds like it would really stand out along my red cedar fence/trellis.

This is really fun learning about clematis! They are ALL very beautiful.

Karen- Great idea! I just might try that too. Thank you.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

cadence, the buds on Guernsey Cream are a pale yellow but the flowers are definitely cream colored. It is a very early bloomer as LFH's go too. It will take full sun in our climate - even in summer, afternoon sun here is seldom strong enough to do harm.

I'd caution about planting out seedling or very young clematis directly into the garden. Most clematis growers who purchase small (and it IS a great inexpensive way to acquire a bunch) pot them up for at least a growing season before planting in the ground. Too many perils exist for tiny vines in the garden - slugs and snails, fragile stems too easily damaged or broken and undeveloped root systems dry out too easily.

You might also want to read up on planting techniques and pruning recommendations - the Clematis forum is a great source. These vines tend to get treated a bit differently than most other plants and your success in growing them will hinge on this knowledge.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

I love 'Guernsey Cream', mine stays a creamy white and here's another favorite of mine 'Silver Moon'.

Guernsey Cream
    {{gwi:1072637}}

Silver Moon
    {{gwi:1072639}}

Annette

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gardengal - Thank you for helping with this as I have never grown clematis. So, you think it will do well in morning shade and afternoon sun? Planting one say from a 5 gallon pot will work better?

Aftermidnight - You're clematis are beautiful. Thank you for sharing your photos. The Guernsey Cream is breathtaking. I want one right now. lol. Can you please tell what exposure it gets? Does it get more shade? more sun? both? east, west?
    Thank you for your help.

14 years ago

cadence, both these clematis get mid morning and early afternoon sun, they both face south east.

Annette

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh they are really pretty. Mine will face west with morning shade and afternoon sun. I read that clematis likes alkaline soil. I just remembered that my soil is more acidic. I have a couple of rhodies there so I don't really want to add lime. Will they grow in acidic soil? Sorry about all my questions but I want to do this right. lol.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Alkaline soil preference with clems is just another of the many myths associated with these vines. They do beautifully in slightly acidic soil, like most of the PNW enjoys. I grew dozens of various clematis in my former garden (pH 6.3) without any amending to adjust soil pH. Even had a few growing in and amongst rhodies and other acid lovers :-)

A 5 gallon plant is not necessary and is generally more expensive than is reasonable for a clematis. 1 gallon containers are fine (typically a 3 y.o. plant) and will have developed a good, healthy root system and can be planted directly into its permanent position. And 1G plants tend to be the most widely available, although some growers are now producing blooming 2 y.o. plants in quarts. If you do get the little 4" seedings, pot them up into a 1G, grow them on through the season and then transplant into the garden in fall - by that time, their roots will have filled the container.

Unlike most other plants, clematis benefit from being planted deeper in the ground than they are in the nursery container - as much as 4-6". This encourages strong root development and the production of additional basal shoots from the root crown, reducing the possibility of the loss of the plant from stem damage (until well established, the stems are very fragile) and reduces the likelihood of wilt. And this is also one plant with which you want to deviate from the accepted/preferred practice of not amending the planting hole. Recommendations - supported by all professional clematis growers - are to prepare a planting hole 18"x18" and amend well with compost or other organic matter. It really is to their benefit to take the time and effort to thoroughly prepare a good, enriched planting location.

The other myth you should be aware of is that they require shaded roots - they don't. They only require that their root run be kept evenly moist and not be allowed to dry out. Shading that area can certainly help in that regard, but maintaining proper watering practices and mulching well will accomplish the same thing.

Most clematis prefer full sun and all will tolerate an all day sun exposure, especially in our climate. Some of the hybrid cultivars, especially those with bars or two-toned flowers, and certain colors (mauves, pinks) can fade in full sun, losing some of their intensity but the plants themselves will be perfectly happy.

All newly planted clems should be hard pruned after their first season in the ground regardless of what pruning group they belong to.....some growers stretch this out for a second or third season. Again, this practice of early hard pruning during establishment encourages both vigorous root and stem development and reduces the incidence of clematis wilt.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gardengal: WOW! You have really taken the time to explain a lot of my questions about growing clematis. I don't think I have another question. Thank you very much. I'm printing this out so when the time comes for me to plant I can use it as a guide. My only question is with my location which clematis should I grow? I've narrowed my choices down to Huldine and Guernsey Cream simply because of their colors. I think either one would look beautiful against my red cedar fence. How far apart should I plant them? Oh, I'm getting really excited now. Thank you again for explaining everything to me. I bet your garden is beautiful!

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Huldine is a much more vigorous and large vine than Guernsey Cream if that helps. The reverse of her blooms has a mauve stripe. I'm looking for one to grow up my purple leaf plum.

Huldine is a type III for pruning which means whack her down every year so it is simple to do.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

I agree with BorS - Huldine is a larger, more vigorous vine. Huldine is also of viticella parentage and so inclined to be more wilt resistant. But I am a sucker for the coloring of Guernsey Cream and Miss Bateman and while they require a bit more fussing initially, I consider them must-haves :-)

Any would look stunning against a red cedar fence.

• dottyinduncan
    14 years ago

I went on a garden tour a couple of years ago and saw a Guernsay Cream in bloom. It was the showstopping star of the garden.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well now I'm thinking this being my first clematis, perhaps I should go with Huldine since it sounds easier to care for. Does 'vigorous' just mean faster growing?

Just out out of curiosity, any ideas on what kind of climbing rose might look good with any of these clematis? or should I ask this on the Rose Forum? I have another trellis that is identical to the other and same planting conditions. I would like a clematis and a climbing rose that will compliment each other. Any ideas?

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Stronger, faster growing and bigger at maturity, not prone to wilt.

• annzgw
    14 years ago

My favorite white is Gillian Blades. I haven't taken any photos but the following link has some good pics. The flowers are a huge 6" wide and last a long time. They're just brilliant on overcast days and late evenings!
    Mine is planted on the west side of the house and doesn't see the sun until around noon.

This site has good descriptions of each type and hardy stock. http://www.silverstarvinery.com/

Have you checked out the Clematis Forum?
    Here are some more photos: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/clematis/hpgal0402151817731.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Gillian Blades

14 years ago

Another very nice white is 'Marie Boisselot'.

• nwkrys
    14 years ago

Of the recommendations so far, I think Huldine and Marie Boisselot are the winners.
    Huldine will probably be easier to find. She's also a show stopper because of the prolific blooms. I have one in both my garden in the Portland area and at our home at the coast. It explodes each spring with lots of lovely foilage and is covered with blooms. The flowers are white with a mauve overtone and the lovely mauve stripes on the back. The flowers tip a bit toward the sun.
    My Marie Boisselot tends to grow more vertical with paler foilage. She does rebloom all summer with larger flowers but less quantity. Marie is true white with the lovely contrasting yellow center. The blooms face more directly out from the vine than Huldine.
    Marie is more of a lady in the garden where Huldine is a bit of a flirt with a more exuberant growth pattern.
    Good luck and have fun.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I saw 'Miss Bateman' blooming at Al's recently. She is pretty but I resisted.

• prairiegirlz5
    13 years ago

I have Guernsey Cream and love the rich white flower color, exactly the shade of heavy cream.

What clematis do you experts suggest for a color contrast?

I am looking for a purplish pink (maybe) against a gray cedar fence, but I suppose that cadence might like suggestions for her red cedar fence too! :0)

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Personally, I have more purple Clematis than any other color. I also have gray cedar fences. Magenta colored ones also look great with the gray. I yanked the soft pinks though, too boring to me against it.

I found a Huldine a few weeks ago and she is twining up my plum. I've got Polish Spirit which is dark purple growing up my crabapple.

I went a bit crazy in the last few years and have about 70 Clematis on a small urban lot.