Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spider mites in seattle area

Posted by pete373 none (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 19:46

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for any plants that have been infected with spider mites. I'm looking to record their movement. I'm up north in Shoreline, but willing to travel a little bit.

If you have a plant that has been infected with mites that you're willing to donate, please let me know!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spider mites in seattle area

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 21:28

I have a lot of Skimmia that I think has mites. You can have all you can dig. I live near Maple Valley.
Mike

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 21:37

Here's a close-up.
Mike

o

Skimmia mites are a bit different from common spider mites - they are citrus red mites and produce no tell-tale webbing. Spider mites tend not to be a huge problem with outdoor plants in this area as it is typically too humid for their liking. Sometimes you will find them on dwarf Alberta spruce later in the season or on other types of conifers. Better luck finding them on indoor or greenhouse plants. They love citrus and ivy.

FWIW, skimmia grown in plenty of shade - its preferred location - with a good, fertile soil and adequate summer irrigation is seldom bothered by mites. Skimmia mites tend to be attracted to stressed plants :-)

o

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately Maple Valley is a bit too far, although I appreciate the response. Anyone else have any mite issues closer to Shoreline or North Seattle?

Also gardengal48,

There's many random houseplants in my home, although none of them have ever had mites. If I purchased ivy and kept it in dry, warm conditions, do you think it's likely the plant would just die, or become infested with mites?

o

Many potted ivies found at big box stores already have mites....ditto diffenbachias and crotons.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here