Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdvaden_of_oregon

My favorite tree to prune: ever - a Mt. Fuji. What's yours?

mdvaden_of_oregon
17 years ago

Its rare that I make a page for a single plant, but I made one for a Mt. Fuji flowering cherry tree in Wilsonville, Oregon, which was my all-time favorite tree to prune over a 25 year span of time. I always looked forward to training this one each year. Someone from the Brookings Harbor garden club emailed me this week, and I a photo to reply back - may as well put the image to good use.

Mt. Fuji - my favorite single tree to prune

I believe that limited irrigation and proper pruning was the key to this tree's abundant growth. Many references list 25' as the width for this tree. That's another reason I posted the page on the internet - so that people can realize the full potential.

Everybody must have a favorite single plant or tree to prune, or a favorite genus to prune. What's you favorite tree to prune (all-time favorite)?

Comments (7)

• reg_pnw7
    17 years ago

Well, when I gardened in California my fave tree to prune was always a lemon tree. I'd pick all the fruit off the prunings and keep half for myself, leaving the rest for the client. Easy to prune and a bonus of lots of lemons. One tree I got 60 pounds of lemons off of, just my half. A small tree too! But of course they don't need that kind of pruning every year.

Here? no lemons needing pruning. Hm. I like pruning rhodies I guess, they're easy to do at any rate, ditto roses, I can prune roses in my sleep, but no fruity bonus with either one.

Bamboo is fun, you get to save the canes for stakes. I guess I just like something where you can use the prunings.

That is one impressive Mt Fuji in your photo. It's been well cared for. How long have you been pruning it for?

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Your lemons reminds me of working in yards during autumn when I get chilled grape clusters from some vines.

For that Mt. Fuji - I think I did it for 5 years, until we moved to south Oregon. At least it was not butchered previously, so that helped a lot. Not sure who preceeded me, but I let the width expand a lot more than the previous person who pruned.

I'm guessing that the tree could have been 8' wider; at least.

• dottyinduncan
    17 years ago

My friends have a Mt. Fugi that has never been pruned -- but it is the most beautiful, graceful tree ever. When it is in bloom, I beg to be invited to their home to enjoy it. It is an absolutely magical tree.

• grant_in_seattle
    17 years ago

It is such a pleasure to see such a beautiful, perfectly-pruned tree like yours. Thanks for sharing it. I love seeing it and admiring the wonderful architecture and blooms!

I do enjoy pruning large shrubs and trees. Pruning somewhat neglected apple and pear trees has to be one of my favorites, but I do enjoy pruning most anything in need. I started re-shaping a neglected lilac in my front garden last summer and will continue re-working it after it blooms this spring. It's the very last specimen of a hedge that used to run for over a quarter mile when my street here in Seattle was all one large property. I was going to rip it out, but after hearing an older neighbor say that when she was young the lady who owned the original property (who was old back then) loved looking at the entire row in bloom for many, many decades, I took pity on the poor neglected thing. It already looks so much better! I'm going to separate some suckers this weekend and move them to my back garden, plus give one to my next door neighbors whose huge and beautiful house is on the original landowner's old lot, so the lilac can return to that spot too.

Rejuvenating a neglected tree or shrub is sort of like vacuuming a very dirty carpet: gratifying! :)

In any case, your tree obviously hasn't been neglected and is a real treat to view, so thanks for sending it in!

Best wishes,
    Grant

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

I do not enjoy pruning. Despite easily recognizing bad pruning when I see it, I seem to be guilty of bad pruning myself.

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

That tree is stunning! enjoyed looking at your photos too.

Glad I'm not the only one who takes pictures of rocks, driftwood and sea anenomes.

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

For locations of other big ones...

Here is a link that might be useful: Trees of Seattle - Second Edition

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!