Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelamodz

Best place in Portland to buy...

angelamodz
15 years ago

Hi,

I just bought my house last summer and this is my first year gardening. Can you please recommend the best (and least expensive!) places in Portland to get mulch, gravel, flagstone, compost, and soil for the raised bed? I think I'm going to concentrate on growing veggies in the bed and putting a path in the yard this year.

Comments (7)

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Heritage Rock is where we get stone of any kind.

We get our compost which we use for mulch at All Wood Recyclers, we take excess yard debris there as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: All Wood Recyclers

• larry_gene
    15 years ago

For SE Portland:

Clackamas Landscape Supply (Oregon City near transfer station & Home Depot)

All About Stone (SE Division & 159th)

Mt Scott Fuel (SE Foster in the 60's)

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

It is right off the I205 in Oregon City. There are a lot of rock places around though. We bought our basalt columns here really cheap and they let me hand select scrap rock for my pond edges cheap here too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heritage Rock

• cascadians
    15 years ago

Heritage Rock and Clackamas Landscape Supply are very close to our house and are very close to each other. We have bought a lot from both places. Heritage Rock has a bargain bin in the back that sometimes has good deals. Clackamas Landscape Supply also sometimes has deals in bins near their office. Spend some time driving and walking around each. Bring mud boots!

Clackamas Landscape Supply has excellent 4-way-blend topsoil. They will deliver it by the yard in a dump truck. The delivery guy is superb. Or they will load it into your truck or trailer. They load it into our 5-gallon buckets when we need piecemeal extra.

When we started our yard we used lots of different nurseries and landscape supply companies and we ended up settling on Clackamas Landscape Supply for best value.

It's also near the Oregon City Dump and the Recycle Yard Debris place. Makes it really handy for lots of ppl, long lines of full trucks on the weekends.

Beginning of this February, bought 14 yards (one huge dump truck) of 4-way-blend and 5 tons of sage granite patio stones (extra thick flagstones on clearance) from Clackamas Landscape Supply and finished multiple raised walking paths through our swamp yard since the muddy ruts made maneuvering dangerous without it. It looks fabulous and is now very easy to get around for watering, pruning, weeding, etc.

It's expensive but it's a forever improvement, quite vast striking improvement and one of the smartest things we've done. Should have done it the 1st year!

• angelamodz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much!

• blueberrypancakes
    15 years ago

I go to Mt. Scott Fuel for buying compost (yard, mushroom, manure) and bark fines (Hemlock and Doug Fir). I take a couple of 32-gallon garbage cans and shovel to fill them. Cost is $5 per garbage can full. The cans are really heavy when full, and basically require 2 people to lift/move them around. They also sell by the yard if you have a truck. Price sheets are on their web site.

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

I bought the gravel from my side yard from Clackamas Landscape Supply because they had some that wasn't all gray. They had a larger selection than any other place I visited.

My basalt columns were far cheaper at Heritage than any other place we checked. My husband has a drill and drilled them himself, saving hundreds of dollars. We got a birdbath rock there really reasonably too.

Here is a link that might be useful: column photo

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider