Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sonicrev

What are these weeds? Is the first one edible?

sonicrev
12 years ago

Hello!

We are living on a lot that has recently had a large number of trees removed. There are now a lot of "weeds" growing in the bare dirt. Any idea what these are and if the first one is edible? It reminds me of cress ?

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww183/sonicrev7/2012-03-18170113.jpg

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww183/sonicrev7/2012-03-18165937.jpg

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww183/sonicrev7/2012-03-18170021.jpg

Comments (7)

• Wayne Reibold
    12 years ago

The first one looks like Shotweed, whatever you do don't let it get to seed or it will shoot seeds all over the place. I'm fighting these right now and best defense is pull them before they go to seed. This time of year with wet ground they're very easy to pull.

• larry_gene
    12 years ago

Cress = shotweed. How many of them do you want to eat?

• reg_pnw7
    12 years ago

First one is shotweed. I've heard of people eating it but can't imagine why, short of famine. I would not recommend eating it myself.

Second one is foxglove.

Third shot has a number of different plants in it.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

Shotweed is very edible and adds a nice tangy bite to salads. Whatever you do, don't eat the foxgloves!

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

3rd pic looks just like what we've had growing around our place edges of gardens, lawns, driveway, etc.

rounded leaves = forget me not, a light blue late spring early summer bloomer & self sows for the next year. I pull up the plants when they get ragged looking sometime in June or easy to remove in spring if you don't want them. It only takes one plant to spread thousands of seeds, so once you have it -- always have it unless you're ruthless with the sprouts. Mowing helps control it.

on right with jagged leaves = creeping buttercup

on left = cat's ear or false dandelion

I've had good results reducing the last 2 weeds by removing plants including as much root as possible, then improving soil with compost & lime in planting areas. Heavy wood chip mulch also prevents regrowth, but bare ground is open territory for them. Mowing doesn't kill them, but does slow down the spread of the cat's ear.

Depends on your gardening style, but I've also tried to reduce weeds in the areas surrounding gardens to prevent seeds blowing into my gardens. After years of diligence it seems to have worked, but it's a long process & you need to keep up with it. Anytime you have bare soil & especially if cultivated the weed seeds sprout.

• tanowicki
    12 years ago

I didn't know the first was also called shotweed but that's a super accurate description. If you let it go to seed, while you're picking it you can see the seed heads shooting off the stem while you're picking it. I found some in the crotch of a tree a couple feet above the ground. It found a place to root on some moss.

• islandlizbeth
    12 years ago

In the 3rd photo, looks like forget-me-nots. If you haven't removed them, you will see them blooming now or soon. Thanks for posting the cress photos -- I was hoping they were edible and I'm off to pick some lush ones now. I do, however, need to do some serious control of the stuff!