Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vinnybob_gw

Tomatoes

vinnybob
14 years ago

Anyone else starting their tomato seeds this weekend? I thought this week wood never get here.

Comments (13)

• vinnybob
    Original Author
    14 years ago

would never.

• barbe_wa
    14 years ago

I started mine on a heat mat a couple of weeks ago. They're about an inch high now.

• pdxwindjammer
    14 years ago

I am going to start mine this weekend! I am growing only heirlooms this year.

• whitman
    14 years ago

Started 8 varieties on Sunday evening. Just keeping them on the dining room table until they poke up and then move under the lights in the basement. First time starting my own toms this year.

• blameitontherain
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting, vinnybob! I've been hanging around on the tomato forum but haven't seen too many posts from PNW'ers over there.

I started mine on a heat mat same as Barbe a few weeks ago. I abbreviate it as "MM" (magic mat) in my garden journal as it works wonders with seed germination. Big seeds like those of morning glory will literally sprout overnight! Magic!

What all is everyone growing? New French heirlooms for me this year are Jaune Flamme, St. Pierre and, um... dang! Can't remember the third. Am growing Fr. heirloom Cuostralee again this year. It was the best of the garden last year -- with giant (to my eye) fruit weighing in at more than 18 ounces!!

Rain (who really needs to break off her No. 1 keyboard key!!!)

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

I started seeds in January, and since I am having more success using ziplock bags to start them, they came up faster and seem ahead of seedlings last year, many are almost up to my lights, about 11", which is when I like to set them out.:-( I start setting seedlings out in April when they get tall enough, under tunnels, so I will have to use my aquaponics system for a flat of the taller seedlings until then, since I have a growbed that only has a few pots in it at present, and I can raise or lower the light. I harden off on my east-facing concrete covered porch for a few days, so I could start the last few days of March.

I'm growing all saved seeds from last year, 14 varieties that did best in my yields chart (not in order of yields)-

Black Sea Man- I didn't like it much, growing for DIL
    Bloody Butcher PL- small, unusually good flavor
    Gogosha- large pink beefsteak, #1 for yields last year
    Jap Black Trifele?- nicer black, could also be Poll Robson Angolan
    Jetsetter- round unblemished, early
    Juliet F2- my saved seeds from a hybrid, elongated early cherry
    Legend- round, unblemished, later, blight resistant
    Marvel Striped- large bi-color, typical fruity taste, good yields
    Nepal- round unblemished
    Perfect 10 round- what I called one I couldn't identify, round unblemished, larger than Jetsetter
    Plum Giant Ukraine- Large plum, OK flavor, good yields
    Roughwood Golden Plum- round flat yellow-gold from trade, doesn't match RWG photos, nice flavor
    Sochulak- variable shapes- heart to oval, nice pink meaty
    Verna's Orange Oxheart- early, good yields, meaty, good flavor

Plus I'm growing Solanum gilo Black Stem, a species nightshade related to eggplants that gets 5' tall and has edible fruits, and Solanum integrifolium, Ruffled Red or Hmong Eggplant. These are from JL Hudson. And some peppers, all of which I will grow in pots since my experience with peppers and eggplants is that the soil is too cool here for them to produce fruit, and black pots heat the soil a lot.

• bumpr1080
    14 years ago

Yep, it's that time again! I started mine last week and they have just broken the surface a few days ago. The heat mat and lights make such a difference. This year I have

Brandywine, Betterboy Hybrid, Siletz, a cherry I can't remember and Romas.

Had good sucess with a Super Fantastic last year; but I could not find the seed this season. Should have saved some! Oops :) I'm thinking about setting out early April.

• blameitontherain
    14 years ago

Wow, Hemnancy, you've really got a jump on things! I'd love to see pictures of your system, aquaponics and all!!(oops -- lay off that dratted #1 key, girl).

JBT last year was superb! Just a gorgeous fruit, G O'Keefe-worthy, with great yields and a complex, smokey-earthy flavor.

Rain (trying to kick her exclamation point addiction but failing miserably when it comes to homegrown tomatoes)

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

Rain- This is my aquaponics system, it is not doing that great plant-wise at present, I've been spending all my time on starting seedlings for outdoors.

Fish tank- 5 Shubunkins

Last year's pole beans, framework is pvc pipe, it supports a 4'fluorescent that can be raised or lowered.

My tomatoes on metal shelf with 4' fluorescent suspended above

Top shelf with flowers, herbs, native plants.

• blameitontherain
    14 years ago

Sweet set-up! Thanks for sharing your pictures! A client gave me an Aerogarden last year, but it's tiny compared to what Hemnancy's created.

I'm dreeeeaming of a red* summer, with every 'mater seed I plant...

Rain (off-key and with apologies to I. Berlin)

*and green, also yellow and black and pink and striped

• vegvitki
    14 years ago

I'm trying Black Prince and Chocolate Cherry (both from Territorial) this year. Anyone have experience with these?

• briergardener_gw
    14 years ago

I grew Black Prince last year. Had a lot of pleasure.
    I usually start my tomatoes in the middle of Feb on top of refregerator and then move them under light.
    They now have first set of real leaves. Will need to move them to bigger containers next week.
    I grew Black Cherry last year, liked the taste but had a lot of splitting.
    My favorite is Taxi. I grew them in containers that i keep for nights in GH. Last year i got first toms from this containers.

• tallclover
    14 years ago

Here's a list of my favorite tomatoes, grown in the cool summer of the Puget Sound area. Old German took home the prize as best slicer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picks and Pics of the Best Tomatoes I grew in 2009

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor