Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone near Tacoma Interested?

Posted by jwr6404 8B in Wa (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 18, 09 at 23:56

Tomato Plants should be available early April. I have 98 seedlings of 20+ different Tomato's. I will only plant 15 plants. I would rather give the balance to Gardeners than Toss them.If interested I'll post varieties. None are cherry types. Could be more as I have 2 varieties that haven't Germinated.
Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone near Tacoma Interested?

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 19, 09 at 0:15

Note that in this climate tomato plants should be grown under cover until after Memorial Day. April is too early to be setting these out without protection - and probably without warming the soil first as well. Once chilled they may not ever give a full performance the whole season.

It might also be just as well to grow tomato plants under cover here all summer - these hot climate subtropicals do not like cool conditions.

o

bboy
I usually start and grow plants under cover. I have large cages which I fabricated for my containers. I cover the cages with 6mil vinyl plastic. When the plants get too large I will begin removing the plastic beginning at the bottom. This growing method has always served me well. This year the Mrs allocated me a portion of the raised garden,enough for 12 plants as she will not plant her usual 160 Cayenne Pepper plants. In addition to large containers I will plant in the ground under Tunnel covers and when they outgrow them they they will get a covered cage. Last year was the first year I never used covered cages and my Tomato season was a disaster. My Tomato selection this year is varied from early to late mid season varieties.

Jim

o

I set out tomatoes every year starting April 1-7 under TunLCovers, and they do very well, even under snow, until last year when it was so cool all summer my ripening was a month behind. This year I'm planning to make hoop houses for at least part of my tomato bed to keep them warmer and dry in the late summer rains, since we had so many last summer. I hope our weather is not permanently changing to the new pattern.

o

I am definitely interested, Jim. I have a heated greenhouse.
I'm growing a BUNCH of different lettuce varieties, cippolini onions, basil and sweet peas this year---we should trade!
I get down to Tacoma about once a month...

~Lisa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here