Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
princessgrace79

85 degrees? Yippee! Who else was out planting veggies today?

princessgrace79
9 years ago

I bit the bullet and planted my tomato starts and cuke seeds. Thinking about green beans, but not sure if that is crazy. Did anyone else? :)

Comments (7)

• vinnybob
    9 years ago

Good luck, putting my tomatoes out Saturday. Was going to do it today but didn't want to stress them out too much, so I chose the cool down day.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

I'd still give them protection for the next month or so. Both nighttime and soil temperatures are not really warm enough yet to encourage much growth and can even stunt them. Cukes in particular want dry, warm soils.....which we most definitely do not yet have.

• larry_gene
    9 years ago

No to yippee and yes to crazy on beans.

At least these mid-spring heat spikes are brief, but they are nearly always followed by extended below average weather, to balance out the monthly averages.

Carrot sprouts are doing nicely here, but benefit from multiple daily sprinklings in the heat and wind.

• princessgrace79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I didn't plant any green beans, but I did get my tomatoes in. They actually seem quite happy, but they were hardened off. I may cover as suggested. I have always planted out in early may so honestly this isn't too far off for me.

My cukes are in a raised bed so I'm hopeful.

I honestly plant when I am motivated, and I was motivated this week.

• briergardener_gw
    9 years ago

I did not plant warm weather veggies yet, they are in greenhouse, but will go outside on May 7-8.
    I am using moon calendar and yesterday was day to plant root veggies.
    Usually my warm weather veg goes to the garden around Mother's day under some cover.
    First time when we bought house and I have started gardening, I planted some petunia and something else some time around Apr 29-May 2 and they were killed by late frost. My neighbor then told me to plant warm weather things only around Mother's day. I am still following her advice.

• larry_gene
    9 years ago

The forecast weather downturn for next week is relatively mild, so it may work out for early planters.

• zone8butteCA
    9 years ago

Finishing the harvesting from the Winter/Early Spring garden, what a banner year. Been in the 90's the last few days. Spring garden is well on its ways, as well as the Summer garden. Just learned to try the Rain Gutter Growing system. Got 36 5 gal buckets growing using the (4 88 ft rain gutters hold 9 5 gal buckets. Eric on the Hot Pepper forum was very generous with having a free seeds give away for us Hot Pepper fans. We are about to start harvesting our Garlic, the scapes have been great to enjoy. Always looking for others to like to share seeds ect. Any other Ca foothills growers here?
    Cheers to all
    Donald