Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does cimifuga/bugbane grow here in the shade?

Posted by harborrose 8a-PNW (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 0:24

There is an area on the north side of a wall that I would like to plant cimifuga ramosa Hillside Black Beauty. The Bluestone Perennials catalog lists it as a plant that can handle almost full shade, but the Western Garden Book says it needs full sun.

Has anyone grown cimifuga? Will it thrive in a bed on a north wall? There are hostas and skimmia planted in this bed.

The wall is light colored, so I'm trying to think of a dark colored plant that might provide some color contrast. I'd like to try a Sambucus Black Lace there, but doubt there is enough sun for that either.

Suggestions and advice welcomed. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does cimifuga/bugbane grow here in the shade?

Actually, the SWG book says "full sun only in cooler climates" :-) So while it can grow in full sun here - provided it receives sufficient water - Actaea (formerly Cimicifuga) is really a part shade to shade plant. It should combine well with hostas and skimmia.

o

Thank you - I moved here from Alabama, so figured Poulsbo, Washington is a cooler climate! but I'm so confused about the weather here, I don't know what anything means half the time.

Thanks a lot for the input.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 8, 11 at 14:56

There are even two species native to forests of this region.

o
Climate Information

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 8, 11 at 15:00

For description of Sunset Zone 5, which is where you would be...

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunset climate zones: Western Washington

o

Mine are in shade, quite a bit of shade, and they do great. I have seen them in more sun in display gardens but I'm happy with mine in shade.

o

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here