Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mystery bug?

Posted by aligail 98053 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 1, 11 at 0:32

Hi there -

We have a small quince tree that is budding out and looking quite nice. I went out there this afternoon though and noticed tons of tiny little black insects all in the bud/new shoot area. The bugs are very small but seem to have legs and their bodies are long and narrow - not round. There are lots of them in each of the buds. Anyone know what these are? Is there anything I can do to get rid of them? Are they harmful? We have a pear tree nearby that has not budded out yet but I think it has been impacted by pests in the past (its very old - was here when we bought the house).

Thanks for any help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mystery bug?

Do they fly at all, or just crawl?

o

pix help.

Dan

o

I didnt notice them flying - they seemed to be mostly just crawling around in there. I will try to get a picture but they are so tiny I am not sure how well it will turn out.

o

The description sounds like thrips, try researching those insects.

o

Thanks Larry - I think you may be right - thats the closest match I've found anyway. Tried to take pictures of them but couldnt get the camera to focus. They are so tiny - look like little grains of black rice. And definitely not flying anywhere - just crawling around slowly in the buds.

So assuming they are thrips - what should I do about them?

o

Thrips have tiny feathery wings, you would need a magnifying glass to see them clearly.

You could try some insecticidal soap or horticultural oil on a few tree buds to see if that stops them.

o

Might they be pollinators?
Why try to get rid of them if they are not doing any harm?
Can you take some to the extension office to get id's?
I always see very tiny (not even close to being the size of rice) black insects on my magnolia buds and flowers and there is never any damage.

o

Perhaps -- and most likely -- they're aphids.

If so, wash off and/or squish. Then repeat every several days as needed.

Thrips don't have that habit nor would they be that obvious to the naked eye.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here