Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you grow butternut squash in the Seattle area?

Posted by oceanna 7 WWA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 3:15

I love butternut squash and I don't think I've seen any seeds sold here locally. Can I grow it here? Is there a trick to it? Or are we just the wrong area?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you grow butternut squash in the Seattle area?

Sure you can grow it! Like all other cucurbits, butternut squash is a warm season crop so starts just now appearing in garden centers and nurseries. Generally, starts do not get planted until both soil and nighttime air temperatures are warmer....after Mother's Day or around the first of June. OK to start seeds now and Hume, Burpee and Territorial all carry butternut squash varieties.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 17:49

Or you can use plastic shelters to provide a warmer growing environment - at least initially.

o

Even in the warmer climate of Portland, butternut squash do not ripen until mid-September to early October--even the smaller, fewer-days-to-harvest varieties require patience.

An initial shelter may help--once blooming, the squash need to be visited by bees.

If you can get some squash to enlarge on your vines, trim off the remainder and late blooms, making the plant focus on the viable squash. The squash need to be fully sized by Labor Day or it will be too late. Expect considerable mildew on the foliage.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 0:24

You don't have to have walls coming all the way down on all sides and wouldn't want to anyway, once the weather turns consistently sunny.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here