Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to prune California Lilac

Posted by gordonf z8a/Vancouver I (gordonf@email.com) on
Sun, Apr 16, 06 at 3:27

Could someone please tell me when I should prune my Ceanothus? I bought it as a tiny fellow a couple of years ago and now it's growing like Topsy. If I prune it now will I risk losing this year's bloom, or should I wait until after it flowers?

-Gord

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to prune California Lilac

I would prune it as it ends flowering; that is when it will be pushing new growth.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 16, 06 at 20:40

I would use same timing, only I would only cut one back to keep it flat on a wall.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 17, 06 at 12:22

Gord, do you have an evergreen or deciduous ceanothus?

You can shape the evergreen types after flowering, not before or you lose this years flowers.

Prune deciduous types as leaves begin to appear in Spring, and these do need regular pruning or become weak with poor flowering.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 17, 06 at 15:29

Yes: 'Gloire de Versailles' etc. I would cut back hard annually in March.

o

Thanks to all of you! I won't prune until after it blooms, as it is evergreen. I really appreciate the prompt advice, as I've never grown ceanothus before!

-Gord

o

SW Washington People,
I moved to Vancouver, WA last year. Do you belong to The NPSV Native PLants Society Vancouver Chapter. Do you belong any to any Garden club. I want to join some & volunteer at Naturally Beautiful Backyards, Invironmental Information Coop, & BushPrairie Master Gardeners extension.

Romerofinley@yahoo.com AL_compost

o

Not exactly a pruning question but here goes: My California Lilac is in well drained soil and situated in full sun and had been thriving. It went brown this winter and died and I can only assume it was because of the extended cold snaps we had. Now I am reticent to buy another and invest in the time it will take to mature. How hardy are these plants meant to be? If I do replant, what should I do to protect it in the event of another prolonged cold winter?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here