Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pacific Wax Myrtle Hedge

Posted by gerrha OR (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 30, 10 at 4:22

Hi,
Based on previous posts in this forum we are considering Pacific wax myrtle for about 200' of hedge. I have been searching for, but have not been able to find, a recommendation for spacing between the plants along a hedge row? I was thinking that the plants should be about 8' away from the property line. Does that sound OK? Also, roughly how long would it take to fill in the hedge?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pacific Wax Myrtle Hedge

In general, the spacing of a hedge plant is based on its mature spread but that can be fudged a bit depending on how dense you wish the hedge to be and how fast the coverage. 6-8' is the recommended spacing for Pacific wax myrtles......the smaller number offering a slightly denser hedge sooner. One could take it somewhat tighter but you risk some interior dieback and loss of foliage due to excessive shading by the neighboring plants

Once established, growth is pretty rapid so at the above spacing, I'd expect decent coverage in about 3 seasons. Pruning back the leading shoots once or twice a season will result in somewhat denser lateral branching as well -- a shorter but bushier plant.

o

We planted a 100' PMW hedge in the fall of '08 placing the shrubs about 8' apart on average. Today there still are 4'to 5' gaps between them. The stems have matured noticeably but the shrubs height and spread are only marginally larger now. They have been nibbled on by deer during that time as well. I hope to see some acceleration in their growth now.

o

Not a follow-up, this is a fresh question. Last spring I planted 6 PWMs on a steep, south-facing slope in Corvallis. All were planted equally well and are on drippers. The deer nibble on them a bit. By last fall it was evident that only two are thriving, with a foot of growth, nice dark green color. The other 4 are pale green and have grown only a little. I'd sure appreciate some advice. Thanks, Tony.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here