Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to plant around the gazebo?

Posted by TTeBri Willamette Valley (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 4:44

Thank you all for the last 5 years of answers to so many of my questions. Coming from Lake Tahoe and knowing nothing about gardening short of gerberas and petunias, I have had a lot to learn living in the state of Oregon!

I have a 14 foot gazebo in the middle of 680 Buena Vista lavender plants, planted in a ceremonial style labyrinth. Beautiful. Three years ago, we planted the lavender out from the gazebo intending to plant something else closer. I've been looking for something that might keep it's leaves through the winter, will flower through the summer in reds, whites, purple, blue or pink, and something that won't get taller than about 2 - 3 feet. Is there such a creature?

I found the rockrose today and it looked promising, but then I've been reading that it can get huge and doesn't take well to pruning back (which I'm just learning too!)

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to plant around the gazebo?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 12:01

You can also plant rosemary with lavender. Height of rockrose varies with kind, most sold are not very tall. Most successful is Cistus x hybridus, that make a fairly large and dense mound. But even with this one many plantings have some dying back of branches and gaps in them, as with the lavender and rosemary you need a hot site with quite good drainage.

A classic is roses + lavender (and roses + rosemary), those would give you the color range and long season - maybe with the lavender etc. being present you don't need every shrub included to be evergreen.

o

bboy, thank you! I love the idea of the rosemary. I had thought of roses, but I wasn't sure if I could pull that off. I think I'm going with the rosemary!

o

Depending on how harsh the winter is, roses would probably keep some of their foliage year-round, too. Admittedly, overwintered rose leaves look pretty ratty by spring, but hey, at least it's not just bare canes...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here