Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What the heck is this weed/tree?

Posted by laurell 8 - Washington (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 11:31

This popped up last summer and I wasn't sure what it was. I was kind of curious to see if i'd be able to ID it once it got a little bigger, and I still can't. Seems robust and happy in it's location. Got pretty much zero irrigation at all last summer and still thrived. Full sun location, growing from between 2 rocks in an area that was previously lawn, no trees within several yards (and nothing similar in sight).

photo WP_20130411_001_zps76225d30.jpg

photo WP_20130411_003_zps372e8dfa.jpg

photo WP_20130411_002_zpsb4f68e95.jpg

photo WP_20130411_004_zps1303c5a9.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What the heck is this weed/tree?

Wild Elderberry...the one with the red berries. Get it out of your bed as soon as possible. You cut it down and it want's to grow back for years! The birds drop the seeds everywhere.

o

• Posted by laurell 8 - Washington (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 11:52

Thanks! I figured I'd better address it before it actually blooms. I'll take it out tonight.

o

Forms dense thickets if left on it's own. It would be safe to leave until the fruit turns red, but the roots are probably getting stronger by the minute.

You'd be better off with Nandina for occasional red berry clusters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here