Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Pomegranates in Containers in Seattle? Success?

Posted by Jessicasgrowincitrus WA State Zone 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 12:33

I have been stalking my local hardware stores lately waiting for this season's shipments of citrus to arrive. And luckily McClendon's Hardware will be getting their 1 gallon Meyer Lemons in this week! Finally!

The lady working there also mentioned that they will be getting in pomegranates this week too.

I am intrigued!

There are a few threads on this forum about growing pomegranates outdoors in Seattle with no follow-ups on how it worked out or even if anyone actually tried it.

From what I read on-line I may be able to grow them successfully in containers as far north as Seattle, although I may never get fruit even if I put them out in "summer" (i.e. July and August�).

Your thoughts? Success stories? Failures? Please share.

~Jessica

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Pomegranates in Containers in Seattle? Success?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 13:33

Needs to be in the ground, on a south-facing wall (hot, sheltered planting site). Even then colder winters will take it back. But you can get a substantial bush between these events.

Marginal plants should be grown in containers only so as to be able to move them under cover during cold spells. Plants in containers are much more likely to be lost to cold than those same kinds growing in the ground.

o

I had intended to keep the planter indoors during the poor months of the year and taking it outside in the nice summer months. I have Meyer Lemon trees in containers that I am keeping indoors, and they are doing well so I thought I might have a fighting chance with a pomegranate in a container as well.

Have you ever tried growing them in containers?

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 21, 11 at 20:47

Pot-grown specimens are frequent at outlets here. A friend has raised some in his local nursery in the past, in pots that were kept under cover for the winter. There is no reason to think growing them in pots - with winter protection - is not possible in this area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here