Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardy Kleim's Gardenia! Help!

Posted by hvaldez 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 17, 09 at 12:45

I planted a couple Hardy Kleim's Gardenia last year and they were doing great with new growth and beautiful fragrant blooms. After this super cold winter, they have a lot of dead branches. Should I cut them back? Will they recover? Is this a slow or fast growing plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardy Kleim's Gardenia! Help!

Mine did well for 3 years. Now it is dying. The winter was too cold.

Saturday I'll try putting it out more in the sun to see if it can revive.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 17, 09 at 14:24

Shrubs with that vivid yellowish green foliage like these have are indicating with their leaf color that they need are from a hot climate. In our Maritime Northwest climate they need a hot site, like a south-facing wall with sandy or otherwise not cold soil.

Things that harden off well in hot climates and reach their full level of hardiness may not do so in our cool summers or on low-lying sites with damp air and soil.

o

Mine had a southern exposure next to a cement wall and a light colored house and it is still toast. Should have kept it in a pot and put it in the greenhouse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here