Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misso_gw

Canby Spring Garden Fair May 2 &3 - Questions

misso
14 years ago

Hi!

We are planning on going to the Spring Garden Fair in Canby this weekend and have never been. I'm wondering if people can give us some advice ...

I'm assuming we should get their early/first thing Saturday morning??

We were planning on buying our veggie starts and a bunch of annuals.... think we'll find some good stuff? At good prices? Do we need a wagon to schlep stuff around or do they have carts?

Any other advice for us? Maybe it's not worth going? Any and all help would be much appreciated!

Just in case here's info about it:

http://www.clackamascountymastergardeners.org/Spring%20Garden%20Fair/SpringGardenFair2008.html

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• jean001
    14 years ago

You asked "think we'll find some good stuff? At good prices?"

Yes. And yes!

You also asked: "Do we need a wagon to schlep stuff around or do they have carts?"

You can bring your own wagon. But the Boy Scouts will help you with their wagons -- it's a fund-raising project for them so they work for tips.

Have fun. And be ready to be dazzled by this very large sale.

Oh yes. You'll also find garden art for sale.

So many temptations, so little garden space. (sigh)

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Oh, it is worth going.

For a first timer it will be somewhat overwhelming. You can fill your wagon before you even see half of what's there. I would bring your own wagon.

The vendors do restock their booths so you don't have to get there right as it opens though there will be a line then...

Wear comfortable shoes that you don't mind getting muddy as it often is muddy.

Food and drink is available but the choices are limited. You might bring snacks.

• larry_gene
    14 years ago

Supposed to be mild and drippy, should be pleasant. This event can be very crowded early; if you can locate the Locust Street gate (first street to the west of the fairgrounds), it can save a lot of time. But you have to know the internal streets of Canby and approach Locust Street from a direction other than directly in front of the fairgrounds.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I have to go on Sunday as I'm riding in a horse show on Saturday. Going to be wet :(

• phill173
    14 years ago

I have been going to this sale for at least six years. They have many varieties of annuals, hanging baskets, herbs, veggies, perennials, grasses, shrubs, trees, garden ornaments, garden furniture, etc. People bring wagons, carts, and even wheelbarrows to haul their plants around, and as mentioned above, there are boy scouts with wagons for hire. There is a holding area where you can drop your plants off while you continue to shop. When done for the day, you can bring your car or truck around behind the holding area and pick up your purchases. Ine one of the fairground buildings you can purchase lunch (sandwiches, hamburgers or hotdogs) and sit and relax for awhile. Some of the area's best nurseries are represented at this event, but there are lots of smaller vendors as well. This is one of the best plant sales around and one not to miss.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

The Tualatin Valley Garden Club is having one at the Washington County Fairplex this weekend as well.

• clc70
    14 years ago

If you take your own cart, watch it like a hawk. Several were stolen last year. It's much preferable to bring your own. You can't tie up a boy scout all day while you shop. And the selection stays pretty constant. The venders have big trucks sitting out back that they refill from throughout the day. I won't be going this year. WWWWAAAAA! I can't afford it and I have 300 milk jugs full of sprouting seeds to take care of. Do go, you won't be sorry. It's a sale to die for.

• larry_gene
    14 years ago

Well, it was pleasant until about 2PM Saturday, had a good wetting at the Fair, many early arrivers had left by then.

Vendors were remarking on the large crowds.

I suspect it was much worse on Sunday, when a tremendous storm blew through sometime after 3PM; 30,000 PDX Metro Area customers without power; one fatality.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I went to both sales. The one in Hillsboro was mostly garden club members selling divisions or plants they had started from seed with a couple commercial growers. Small crowd, nice people and plenty of wagons and wheelbarrows. I bought a couple of daylilies and tomatoes. Eclectic Gardens daylilies was there.

The Canby one seemed to have more people than ever before. The weather was great until 3:00. I bought some inexpensive horseshoe garden art but no plants. I didn't find anything on my list though I did lust after some gorgeous delicate clump bamboos that were out of my price range. I'd never seen such pretty bamboo.

• dbellpfb_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Can you bring dogs if they're on a leash?

• tanowicki
    13 years ago

It's April 30 - May 1 this year. The page doesn't say anything about pets but I would guess they're not allowed. It gets pretty crowded.

Here is a link that might be useful: This year's link

• larry_gene
    13 years ago

I wouldn't want to be a dog at that event.

There's no mention of dogs on the Canby...Fair pdf flyer, either. The upcoming Hardy Plant...sale newsprint ad states: No strollers, wagons, or pets. Of course wagons are encouraged at Canby. I think I saw a couple of small dogs in wagons last year. Much safer than on a leash.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

There is no reason to bring a dog. Far too many people, too much noise and confusion and did I mention muddy? This is a very crowded event, not someplace where you can go for a nice stroll with your pet.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths